Wolf Hall

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 7. Feb 2015, 14:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
At long last, a drama that treats its viewers as sentient beings, a tale with more twists and turns than an Aran jumper and which is both a treat for the brain and the eyes. I am not that fussed about its historical accuracy (I haven't spotted any yellow lines , metal handrails or wristwatches yet :wink: ) but the quality of the acting (especially Mark Rylance) is amazing. We watch every episode twice (well, I do) because The Spouse is inevitably asleep by 9.15 so misses the bulk of each episode.

Tonight I can visit the comfy world of marshmallow brain with the equally- excellent-but-in-a-different-way Murder in Paradise, then we'll be buckling and swashing on Friday with the Musketeers. Bliss. :) Or maybe we won't - The Six Nations begins. Ah. :D DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I love this show ,one of my favourite periods in history,the acting is great.
    Got the 6 nations app on iPad and phone as we will be away for the first week .Have got a bet on for england to win outright. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Amazing drama..I look to see if they are slipping up but nothing yet.. the story lines and acting are superb...must say DD I copy it just in case I fall asleep..but this one keeps me awake... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I am an episode behind, the joys of a dvd, but I am loving it. Mind you I was one of the few people who finished both books and loved them too! It is fab I was so excited when I heard they were doing it for tv. :D:D
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Didn't realise there were books ,will look on am**zon.Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Agree with you on both Wolf Hall and Death in Paradise though not on the Three Musketeers. I record Wolf Hall to watch at a weekend when I am more able to focus on it than in the evening. It is a superb production, BBC at it's best. I read the first book but unusually for me, as this is the sort of book I usually love struggled with it. However I may give them another try after watching the series.
    My other current favourite which is on again now, and which is completely different is The Last Leg, a comedy show on C4, the first series was on during the paralympics and it's billed as three men with four legs! Not to everyone's taste but it makes me laugh out loud, if nothing out I'm sure last week's interview with Nick Clegg is brilliant and you have to give him credit for being the only one of the party leaders who accepted the challenge to go on the programme.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmella
    Options
    I found the writing style tricky the way Mantel always referred to Cromwell as "him" regardless of however many men were in the passage! But it did get better in Bring Up The Bodies.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I admit I have not read the books (and won't, based on the utterly stupid instant dislike of her and my limited concentration skills) so how can I state that this adaptation is so good? Truly I can't :oops: but I appreciate the fact that I have to work at making sense of this drama is a good thing.

Slosh, we too enjoy The Last Leg - it's refreshing to hear the disabled making light of maters rather than the 'Oh woe is me!' approach. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I meant to type 'matters' not maters! :oops: DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Slosh I will try Last Leg - sounds like my cup of tea :)

We love Death in Paradise here - even Lucy :wink:

Can't watch Wolf Hall is 'he' doesn't like that sort of thing........?????

:roll:
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Last leg is brilliant. It was my 22year old daughter who put me on to it. I record it and look forward to watching it on Saturday
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    I'll record it too Slosh and watch it when there's nothing on :)

Thank you for the tip

xx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I love the last leg too. We watched last week's one last night - anyone else think Clegg is morphing into Gordon Ramsey? Or is it just me?? :oops:

DD - I don't think it matters whether you have read the books or not. I think I heard that although millions of people bought them both hardly anyone completed them. The joys of Kindle knowing our reading habits!!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I watch it twice too DD because I'm enjoying it so much. The acting, settings and fashions are excellent.

I'm a massive fan of Tudor history, have read many books on the subject and haven't seen anything to annoy me just yet. Anne Boleyn had almond eyes instead of blue and Jane Seymour was very plain but these are smalls things and can be overlooked.

I'm also watching because my Daughter was in Claire Foy's drama class at A level (Anne Boleyn). She has certainly done well since leaving school.

The show has been criticised for its slow pace but I think that is one of its high points.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I agree with that, tkachev, life does not happen quickly and neither should a proper, thoughtful drama. It takes time for events to happen, and for their effects to be felt; this production reflects that. DD