Keeping a Diary

Options
Sonia50
Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
edited 10. Feb 2015, 09:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, has anyone else used a 'traffic light' record system? ... basically my GP suggested it as a useful way to record how your OA affects you day to day and also as a visual way for your children to understand.
We got a large cheap diary (from 'The Work's) and some green, red and orange stickers ... if you are having a pain free, great day, you put a green sticker on, a middling day means an orange sticker and an awful, stay in bed day a red sticker. Not only can I see a pattern emerging to show the Dr, OT, or consultant, but my girls know what to expect of me each day. Its great ... interestingly I have realised that a bad day often follows a couple of green days - guess I need to slow down and pace myself when I feel well... easier said than done!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sonia50
    What a brilliant idea, I hadn't heard of this..I do keep a food diary to see what effects the things I eat have on my pain..so now I will be getting started on this..thankyou
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sonia50
    Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Barbara ... well, your food diary sounds good too! X
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Sonia

What a good idea. Without trying very hard I could think up a whole
    rainbow of colours to use, but maybe a simple three is best.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Keeping a diary is not unknown on here but the traffic light system sounds good - it's certainly visual and far more informative than just recording numbers. Green won't appear on mine but, if you have that option available it would help you to learn to slow down on the better days, I recall that doing so made the better days outnumber the not-so-good. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    That’s good visual aid Sonia, thanks!! I been known to food diary which I think, is helpful too, but never heard of this before. This seems to be useful (may be more useful for family members to understand why your mood is down :lol: ) tool after a little practice.

Regarding slowing down, I would say try not to break/change your schedule even on green days (if possible), take rest, go easy and slow. For best results, arthritis patients needs a good balance between the two: Rest and exercise. Your doc or physio can tell you how much rest is best during flares. Wish your days soon outgrows in green number than red ones.

Chris.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I keep a medical diary, seperate from my normal diary.
    Its very handy to refer to when going for hospital and or consultant appointments.