When will they ever learn?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 10. Feb 2015, 05:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Forty seven years of marriage to someone with RA on his part. Two months of low iron and ferritin on my part.. One week of early mornings and busy days.

Last night he announced he was thinking of asking P & C round for a meal next Wednesday. I said no.

“Why not?”

“Because we go to Scotland on Friday.”

“What's that got to do with it?”

“I'm tired.”

“You won't have to do anything.”

(:roll: He still, fondly believes this.)

I said no, again.

I got up this morning, got washed and dressed, made and consumed half my breakfast then headed back to bed, lacking the energy to eat the other half.

Ten minutes later I heard him coming into the bedroom. The footsteps stopped. Nothing happened. I opened my eyes.

“What's up?” he asked.

“I'm just tired.”

He looked quizzically at me. “But you're never tired.”

:o:o:o I've sent him out to pick up the iron tablets that the doc finally allowed me yesterday.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    ((( ))) You have my deepest sympathy. Ensure you get as much rest as you can over the next few days because getting ready to go away is never an easy procedure. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    The tiredness can be really so debilitating, can`t it? And sometimes we wish our menfolk could know exactly how we feel. My own husband has always had masses of energy - as did I long ago in another life!

I do hope you feel a bit less tired soon, and can enjoy your trip. We`re away next week for a couple of nights in the Yorkshire Dales, and I`m trying to summon up the energy to look forward to it.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    We go away tomorrow my packings done he has clothes all over down stairs are you going to pack my stuff I've been shopping today he said ,did you Go alone no you came with me SO DO YOUR OWN THEN ,there's no need to shout at me. Mig
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    The tiredness we live with Sticky, it's the lack of understanding and foresight that is intolerable. Hope you can get some rest.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just to say I too hope you manage to get well rested before your trip.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm pleased to say both my sons have a real 'can do' attitude to disability ie they see no reason why disabled people can't join in with everything given one or two adjustments – hence my 'step' of an 8-pack into my son's jeep (which has to be renewed frequently as we keep drinking the step :oops: ). They do all tend to be astonished when I plead tiredness though.

I think I have a mild bug. My arms still feel quite leaden though not achey today. I have finally got up and breakfasted and shall resist returning to bed. It's boring and besides, as my old Mum used to say with a twinkle in her eye “They dee in bed”.

Tezz, have a lovely holiday in the Dales. I see them as what Spaniards would call my 'patria chica'. Maybe Nidderdale's my favourite but it's hard to beat the awesome Malham cove, Gordale Scar and the magnificent limestone pavement above (which I haven't walked in years :cry: ).

My man was a star yesterday. He cooked, cleaned, washed up, tidied up and put away. So far today he's told me how tired he is but not inquired yet how I am :roll: I think I might languish a bit longer.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SW I hope the tiredness goes away before you do..bless he is a good hubby but still a man :? no they never learn...you take care..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It sounds to me as though you have picked up something nasty from somewhere (probably the doc's if you've been, they are germ-infested-and-riddled places). I think you should visit the garage and see if there's a dishy young doc who's ready to help. :wink: DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    ((((()))))xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Did he give up on the dinner date idea? Usually 'you don't have do anything' means the same as 'its too late as its all arranged'.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you for the ongoing encouragement. I have pronounced myself better. I suspect you are right, DD that I picked summat up in the Health Centre. Their alcohol gel machine was empty and I went straight on to the supermarket so a potential double whammy.

Elizabeth, he gave up straight away. He knows when I'm serious.

Thank God for iron tablets! I have energy :D (Well, some :D )
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I hope you keep on getting better. Dr LV says a wee dram, or ten should help.

My version of that conversation goes like this (and is often repeated):

'Please will you take the dogs out tonight?'

'Yes...do you want to though?'

'No, that's why I asked you'

'OK, I just thought you might like to, you like walking the dogs and it's a break from the girls'

GROWLS 'yes but I'm really sore and really tired because it has been a long hard day with the girls THAT'S WHY I ASKED YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE.'

'Oh (shocked), OK, I'll take them then.'
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My OH is like a lot of men folk when I say ' I taking a nap because I'm tired' he says ' your always tired!' So now I just blank him because it's starting to grind on me.
    It's the same thing when he says 'what's up?' and I say 'feeling rubbish' he says 'your always feeling rubbish!' I just wish I could give him my R.A. & Osteo for a week and see how he copes!!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ten 'wee drams' :o If only! I certainly would be tired....and emotional :wink:

The trouble is, in their – blokey – eyes they're being perfectly reasonable and thoughtful :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Bubba, that's exactly how mine "copes" with me too. It trivializes what you are going through, I think that's why it grates on me so much. (((()))))
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They're blokes. They're also healthy blokes. 'Nuff said. DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I think my reply would be 'yes I am, I'm glad you understand, it really helps'.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter