I'm five years old all over again.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 7. Feb 2015, 13:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
Do you remember having to wear woolly tights in the winter as part of your school uniform? And how they would sag in the gusset area as they worked their way down your legs? Well, I'm re-living that sensation and it's an odd feeling!

I have continued to lose weight so today ventured out in a pair of stretch support leggings (from Pr*m*rk and the bees knees) plus some other clobber, feeling somewhat self-conscious but that didn't last for long as two women, who were nowhere near the right height for their weight, waddled past, similarly clad. Anyhoo, after a lovely shop I've come home and my gusset is somewhere around mid-thigh. As I said, I'm five years old all over again! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You'll have to be like Superwoman DD, wear an extra pair of pants over your tights to keep them up. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Woolly tights, no. Lisle stockings, yes. My mother was shocked at the cost of these compulsory items of my grammar school uniform and even more so when I arrived home on Day 1 with a huge hole in the knee. My punishment was a darned stocking.

I do recall wandering tights, though. In the wheelchair, in freezing temperatures, refusing any blankets or rugs as I'm never going to be so old or disabled, I wear leg-warmers under my trousers and pretend I'm a ballet dancer. (I have a very good imagination :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    No stockings until Sixth Form, and even then they had to be a shade called 'Brandysnap.' Until the dizzy heights of the Sixth it was white ankle socks come rain, hail or shine. My mother thought the nuns cruel!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Long socks for me at school..but I do have probs with the tights..I love the thermal leggings from Prim**k..they are lovely and soft on the inside..and don't venture down like the tights.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    White ankle socks in summer long grey socks in winter . Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The woolly tights were primary school garb, the next level on was a different kettle of fish altogether! Outdoor and indoor shoes plus cotton shoe bag, art overall, science overall, flat grey beret in the winter, rigid straw boater in the summer, long white or short white socks until 6th form, long grey socks or grey woolly tights in winter. Oh, and a cookery overall too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Overalls? Luxury, pure luxury :lol: We had to make our own Dom. Sci. aprons in first year. Mine was filthy by the time all the stitches had been passed.

We had the beret all year round and I've lost count of the number of times I was reported for using hair grips to keep it on – or for taking it off.

We had gingham blouses under our gymslips and no cardis allowed whatever the weather. (So we wore them underneath, cut down so as not to show.) Summer dresses were of horrendously striped, almost calico material and as for the gym outfit – no-one believes it except those of us who suffered it.

No primary school uniform but we all wore those enormous navy knickers with a pocket for your handkerchief. (Well, the girls did :lol: )
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Oooh, it's a walk down Memory Lane!! We had a green beret, navy blazer with green binding, badge & motto 'Sine Labe,' navy tunics for first three years then box-pleated skirts. Pullover & tie, of course. Divided skirts for PE, which were hideous, striped dress for summer - short sleeves for first three years, 3/4 after that.

Like DD we had the shoe-bag, indoor & outdoor shoes, white coat for science.

We also had to kneel at the start of each day, so they could check the length we wore our skirts. We had navy gaberdines in winter. And satchels!!!

In spite of all the archaic rules & regulations, and the strictness of the staff I loved school and was rarely absent.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    At my secondary school, all girls grammar school until we it went comprehensive we had to wear two pairs of knickers, brown nylon ones with white cotton ones underneath, my Mum said this was in case the dye ran onto our skin. We had a regulation style we had to wear and a couple of times each term the PE teacher, female, would do an unannounced knicker check!

We also had regular checks on the length of our skirts and in fact our first, compulsory sewing project was to make our school summer uniform skirts.

Green cotton wrap over science aprons, checked nylon cookery aprons, and regulation brown socks.

And this was an LEA school in the 70s!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh DD

Posh school :shock:

Yes we had blazers and ties until 5th year then whatever you liked except jeans.

6th form anything went :D

No boaters, no berets :(

I think I had a deprived upbringing...sniff, sniff

Toni xx

PS well-done for wearing leggings in the community and pulling it off too :)
  • stickywicket
    frogmorton wrote:

PS well-done for wearing leggings in the community and pulling it off too :)

:shock: Crikey! She didn't tell us she'd done that! Where? When?
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    its all too posh for me secondry modern.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Can't say my grammar school was very posh. At junior school (private) I had hellicution lessons. Spoke quite posh "Ap the garden parth" by the time I'd finished grammar school, it was "oop the garden path" :lol: Common as muck. Still talk like that now. :oops:

Uniform was white blouse, grey box pleated skirt, maroon jumper, maroon/grey/white striped tie, maroon blazer from year 1 - 3, with maroon beret. Black blazer after year 3 and beret wasn't necessary. There was also a maroon mackintosh, but most of us wore duffle coats. We wore grey or beige ribbed stockings in winter, clear nylon ones in warmer weather.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Our school uniform looked like something an air hostess would wear, navy box jacket with silver buttons and a very plain, short skirt. For summer we were allowed to wear a dress in any style as long as we used the same paisley fabric. I was so lucky because my Sister, who was doing a fashion design course, made my dress and it was fab!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein