Is it April the First?

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 12. Feb 2015, 14:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
I ask because I have just heard on the radio that supermarkets are being asked to stock daffodils away from fruit and veg because some customers are of the opinion that they are edible. :shock: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    "It noted 27 cases of poisoning linked to daffodils and narcissi last year. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31176748

I think this only adds to the bewilderment :?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    I like my daffodils with a rich onion sauce . IT'S A JOKE !!! Do not try this at home .
    mamasmurf
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    DD your reaction is exactly the same as mine when I posted a link to this story on facebook. Apart from anything else in my supermarket, daffodil bulbs are sold in labelled boxes and the buds in bunches, again labelled. Plus surely as soon as you tried to peel and chop a daffodil bulb you would notice the difference.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I have a bunch of onions/Chinese vegetables in a vase on the windowsill and I've got daffodils in the fridge for lunch tomorrow. :lol:
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    What?!!!!!!!!

Are we really considered to be that dense??
    :roll:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, half the cookery programmes seem to use as many flowers as veg :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    :o :shock: :?

You have to laugh, or you'd cry.

:roll: :wink::lol:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    Options
    No, those of us who get it right end up crying. I imagine if you chopped a daffy bulb thinking it was an onion you'd have no tears :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • bimble
    bimble Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Heard on tv - my friend ate daffodils and was very ill. He was taken to hospital. Doctors say he'll be out in the Spring!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :lol: Nice one, bimble! Apparently the causes of people eating daffs are poor English language skills, confusion between the various types of bulbs (I can't recall seeing daff bulbs for sale in a supermarket but maybe that's just me) and people suspecting they are part of Chinese cuisine.

I do recall reading somewhere that during the Second World War the Dutch resorted to eating tulip bulbs, various types of foliage and grass in lieu of real food. And that isn't a joke. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    This is clearly a load of rubbish, but daff bulbs do last longer in the veg basket.........and planting onions, well, much better used as a filler in the garden path........;-)) :lol:

I suppose it'll be don't eat butter next and sugar is bad for us followed by be careful when walking on snow and ice?

Dunno about nanny state I reckon its an insult to my nan!!!!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I learned today that bluebells are poisonous and also how to tell the difference between a native bell and a Spanish invader. My late Pa's bluebells have been planted out in some of our borders - they appear to be thriving . . . . . DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Should I be worried that my bunches of daffodils got delivered in the same bag as my fruit and veg?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich