New, useful website

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 12. Feb 2015, 07:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Especially for younger (20-30?) adults with arthritis. It calls itself a magazine and won the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society's 'Patients In Focus' Gold Award 2014 which is 'a prize given each year to the one project deemed to be the most innovative, inspiring and helpful for people living with arthritis.'

Sadly, as far as I'm concerned, its name - http://arthursplace.co.uk/ - is the worst thing about it :roll: I've always hated the anthropomorphing (anthropomorphisation? :oops: ) of disease, especially as Arthur is / was the name of my Grandad, two uncles and a friend's lovely little boy. However.... :roll:

I'd strongly recommend the site to our younger adults. I guess the info and facts remain the same as here (It's still incurable :lol: ) but the emphasis is different (tattoos, alcohol, cigarettes, pregnancy etc) and the layout is designed to appeal to – I reckon – a couple of generations or so below mine.

Why not suck it and see?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I found out about it a few months ago. Some of it really caters towards under 20s but it discusses some useful issues. I want a very small tattoo on my ankle but I keep thinking what my grandma would say and chickening out. :lol:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sophie, at a niece's wedding we were surprised to find that the bride and bridesmaids all had small sticking plasters on their shoulders. Yup, they'd decided better that that face the wrath of their grandmother :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This sounds good (apart from the name, YUK) . Younger people may well need a fresher approach to the one offered on here, and of course their current concerns are going to be different as they have the advantage of the meds that quite a few of us missed, due to either their not being developed or being refused. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Great idea and I wish something like this had existed when I started being arthritic at 21 because I thought I was the only 21 year old arthritic in the world and it was a very lonely time. Another vote in the 'shame about the name' camp - it's a real bug bear of mine, I despise giving it a friendly name, it isn't a friendly thing, it's a god awful disease. I can't think of a single other condition where the anthropomorphisation happens.

Sophie, I have a few tattoos on my bum so not really on public view unless I'm on the town hall steps (hoping that isn't just a local saying now I've typed that). My Dad despises tattoos and I thought I had found the spot to hide them, sadly in my swimsuit I have the back end of a gecko visible. He was present whilst I swam in the sea in summer, I assume he saw it (you can't miss it), he has never mentioned or acknowledged it...I'm guessing Grandmothers wouldn't follow that kind of approach though. I'd be interested to hear how you go if you ever do it. After my earrings refusing to heal on anti-tnfs I have been reluctant to get another tattoo just in case it doesn't heal.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sophie, I have a few tattoos on my bum so not really on public view unless I'm on the town hall steps (hoping that isn't just a local saying now I've typed that).

:o Oh I think it must be quite local (and very intriguing) as I've never come across it but please, PLEASE explain, LV :D
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    If that's true I'll show my bum on the town hall steps. The often threatened phrase in response to unlikely facts/ stories/ claims in my neck of the woods.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    What a dreadful name for the site... Maybe it's an age thing lol..

As for tattoos, I am covered with them and personally never had a problem with any of them. I recently had my right hand covered and I do have trouble with both hands flaring. I haven't noticed the tattoo makin any difference. However, we are all different.
    Anyone thinking of getting a tattoo should always check the place out.. Make sure that it is a reputable place, check the place out on the internet, most places will have a website, but don't just assume because they have a fancy website that they are a great place. Try to find reviews of the place..
    Also, once you have picked a tattooist, make sure that you talk about tattoo placement and think ahead, is the tattoo going to be somewhere where you might need surgery etc in the future.. Not much point in spending lots of money getting a nice peice of artwork somewhere where it might be sliced through with a scar later in life lol.
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP