Monthly fun and games

Options
Dizzy
Dizzy Member Posts: 27
edited 11. Feb 2015, 07:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just got back from my first monthly blood test on methotrexate. I think I managed to give them 1/4 of a teaspoon.

Am I the only one that blood takers run away from?

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm the opposite, a typical red haired bleeder and my cupth often runneth over...you can have some of mine if you want!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Ouch :( sympathy coming your way.

Did they try both arms? My left arm yields nothing, my right arm is fine.......maybe it's worth trying the other arm?

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    No, you're not alone, dizzy. I think most of us who have been having regular bloods for years possess veins which have learnt how to dodge the needles. I've had butterfly needles, children's needles and a doc who threatened to come at me with an axe next time. Oddly enough, I have a good relationship with my regular phlebos, probably because we have so much time to chat :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Doesn`t matter who takes mine - they always struggle. Sometimes they get the GP to come and do it. As no-one can get it from my arm it always has to come from my wrist. It`s infuriating to be honest, as occasionally they have given up and asked me to come back a few days later. It`s just not, & never has been, straightforward.

My GP has suggested tattooing `The Spot,` and has also be known to suggest the words ` Precious Blood` on the label. I kid you not.
  • Dizzy
    Options
    The other arm is even worse and my hands are useless.

Had to get an anaesthetist to do it one time in hospital.

I kind of delight in being difficult, in a strange way.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know that many have this trouble - I can't empathise because I have not had this problem but I can sympathise because it is another un-necessary level of difficulty, yes? I happily inject myself but always refuse to look at what the phlebos are doing. Do you watch or not? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Dizzy
    Options
    I always watch...seems to hurt less that way.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It doesn't usually hurt apart from the initial insertion - and sometimes, if you have a really good phlebo, that doesn't hurt either. I can remember a few which were uncomfortable but having had hundreds over the years I reckon that's pretty good. I have mine done at the hospital, it has a walk-in pathology lab and all the phlebos there are pretty good because it's all they do. As mine have to take three vials (or are they phials?) that's another reason for not watching as they juggle! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I hate going to the vampires because my arms are terrible for trying to find a vein! I think the nurse must see my name and think 'oh heck!!' Some your definitely not alone.