Flu type bug

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 17. Feb 2015, 05:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Middle of last week I came down with a flu bug and over the last few days it made me ache all over and since Saturday I've had a mild headache. I'm sure there are lots of bugs about because of the time of year. Just something else on top of Arthur to make me feel yuk!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're ropey. Yes, it's the bug season. I suspect I picked up something in the doc's on Thursday. Bug-ridden places, docs' surgeries :roll: , and I seem to be the only one who uses the hand gel provided. (It was empty though on Thurs so maybe not. :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon, Bubba.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Get well soon bubba xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes, this is the flu season and it might extend up to May. I have already started wearing mask while in public. Washing your hands frequently, avoiding rubbing nose, mouth and eyes is all said and done but not easier when you have to look after toddler, manage house chores and office. Being on immunosuppressant drugs makes us prone to infection as well as high risk of complications from the flu :( . Though flu jabs are the most effective way to prevent it, the timing of treatment and vaccination is also imperative. What is important is seeking medical attention early, as soon as you are developing symptoms or even when you’re exposed to someone who has the flu.

I wish you get well soon, meanwhile stay at home, avoid travel until the fever is gone and take rest.

Anna.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Get well soon Bubba, I wonder if it is a post holiday lurgy, all taht lovely warm climate followed by a return to cold and damp. I was in the GP with one of the girls yesterday and tried not to look obvious as I whisked her away from a grubby little lad who was sneezing constantly and never once trying to at least direct it away from others. I felt a bit mean but he did look like the local germ breeding facility bless him (and he had a mouthful of food that kept being spattered everywhere when he sneezed, delightful).
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Bubba, you are good at catching these things, aren't you? :wink: As AM says we are more prone to infections but seeing as how she isn't on any immuno-suppressants (I seem to recall pain relief and Vit D tablets for her) it's a bit rich to assume you are (I can't picture her reading up on others and what they have or take). I recall you were on a very low dose of sulph, are you still? I hope you feel better soon, keep warm and well-hydrated, even just a cold can make us ache more etc. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Anna - how curious - you say you are taking immuno-supressant drugs yet on your introductory post you stated that you aren't. Unless you are taking a DMARD (which you said you weren't) you are not immuno-supressed, arthritis doesn't affect your immunity, it is just caused by it. In that case you are at no more threat of winter bugs than any other parent of a small child. Hope that helps, you probably don't need to go to the same lengths as others who are immuno-suppressed in terms of infection prevention so that should save you a little time and effort and energy, short cuts are always welcome for arthritics! Interestingly, I find that I don't get all the bugs my children get, my immunity may be compromised but clearly it is better than that of a toddler, phew! :D
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    This bug has hit school in a big way. We have so many students and staff off ill. Seems to last between 5-7 days, comes with headache, dizziness, aching limbs, weakness, sore throat and ends with a cough. Some people vomits with it too. It appears to be horribly contagious.

Get well soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Scattered, I sincerely hope you don't fall foul of this - please be as conscientious as possible (but I suspect you already are doing so!) DD

PS I've just had a chat with a neighbour who cheerfully wipes tables and flatware when she's out and about so as not to catch bugs. She is fit and healthy but a grandchild isn't. Handrails, door handles, in fact anything an infected one might touch are not immune to her attention.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello bubba ..hope you feel better very soon ..my youngest GD has caught something from nursery..now I have to keep from her... :( xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    Not to worry DD, I'm armed and dangerous: hand sanitiser, plenty of soap, anti-bac wipes all at the ready. Yes, I am the person in the office first thing wiping down all the computers and giving the door handles a once over in the name of germ prevention. :shock:

I don't think I've ever washed my hands quite so much! I hope everyone else is avoiding such nasties too.
  • AnnaMilton
    Options
    Hi Lingumvitae, you’re right I am not DMARDs as of now. But currently I am taking prednisone as main drug for past one year. In my last appointment that was in sept, my rheumy warned me to phone my GP/helpline if I get any symptoms of infections as he said this drug can weaken your immunity and leave you prone to infections than other healthy adults (please correct me, if I am wrong here), may be not as much as that of DMARDs. but he is just overcautious, I dont know.

But thanks for piece of advice n yeah, I love shortcuts too (be it cleaning house, cooking or shopping too – I prefer online 8) )!!!

Would you please mind telling me, whether you were away from all arthritis medications while ttc? If yes, how long before you weaned off them? I heard you can go into remission during pregnancy, but not always is the case, right?

PS : I may try for another baby with my new partner, but I see its impossible with RA meds.

Anna.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    AnnaMilton wrote:
    Would you please mind telling me, whether you were away from all arthritis medications while ttc? If yes, how long before you weaned off them? I heard you can go into remission during pregnancy, but not always is the case, right?

Anna, there is a thread lower down the page (I think it's called 'Trying to start a family pregnancy' by gemmarh100 which deals with this topic.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Anna, this may sound rude but as you are not taking a DMARD I fail to understand why you want to know about my DMARD withdrawal as it has no bearing on your situation and I am afraid you come across as overly curious about my personal situation. I hope you can therefore understand why I shall not be answering your queries.

Bubba, sorry this has hijacked your thread, I hope you continue to recover ((((()))))
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi thanks for your messages! Yesterday afternoon I came down with a vile migraine that last until early this morning, so whatever this bug is it's upsetting all my weaknesses.
    Anna I had my flu jab but it doesn't cover all viruses! Also I'm still slightly anaemic so that is why my immune level is low!
    LV don't mind my post being hijacked even though I think it was Anna who started it all anyway with her drivel!! Very entertaining though!!
  • AnnaMilton
    Options
    Anna, this may sound rude but as you are not taking a DMARD I fail to understand why you want to know about my DMARD withdrawal as it has no bearing on your situation and I am afraid you come across as overly curious about my personal situation. I hope you can therefore understand why I shall not be answering your queries.

Bubba, sorry this has hijacked your thread, I hope you continue to recover ((((()))))

Lignumvitae : if you see my past thread, many senior forum members have suggested trying for meth as i am not able to cope up with my current med and i am thankful to them, because am very weak in drugs and their understanding. In fact, I thought to discuss it with rheumy in next appointment, whether I would be eligible for that. But at the same time, I see that it is not possible to continue with it if you decide to ttc. It may seems overly curios, but its my need to understand different scenarios to make a choice, if it makes sense to you. Why would I be interested in your personal situation, I thought you will be in better position to guide me as you've went through the same. No issues if you don't want to answer my queries. That's perfectly fine.

SW : Thanks for that thread. I would refer it soon. plus I got few more as well.

Bubba : Believe me, I had no intention of hijacking your thread. apologies. I am quite new here, still trying to settle. :)

Anna.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Anna, threads veer off in different directions all the time according to individual needs. Those who begin them have no proprietorial rights and what you wrote was certainly not 'drivel'.

That said, I can understand LV's unease at being questioned. You appear to know very little indeed about your own form of arthritis, RA, and its treatments yet you have freely given advice gleaned from the internet to those with OA. I can understand, and applaud, a desire to help but we first need trusted facts or at least experience. I have always found a combination of Arthritis Care, NHS Choices and Arthritis Research UK are good for most of my questions.

Why not read up what they say about RA, the medications needed and trying to conceive with RA? Arthritis Care do a whole host of publications. (See 'Publications & Resources' above.) And / or read up on old threads on here. (Just put the relevant word into either the pink search engine above or the 'search' box below it.)

Personal experiences are useful additions to the facts but are no substitute for them. If you had read up on the topics I suggested above then you would have already known the situation re trying to conceive and meds withdrawal. It's the same for all so LV's personal withdrawal is irrelevant. There are also several previous threads on the topic which you might find useful.

In your situation I would read up on all the facts, ask to see my rheumatologist and discuss the pros and cons of meds and pregnancy for you personally.

And why not hop over to the Chit Chat forum and chat about things other than arthritis :)

Bubbadog, I hope you're feeling a bit better today.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I need to apologise I shouldn't have used the word 'drivel' I was wrong to use that word but my head wasn't in the right place with the bug. Thank fully I feel a lot better now. I offer my wrist to SW to smack it. :oops: