It's the little things

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 16. Feb 2015, 14:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Mr LV rocked up home the other day with five bunches of daffodils (we didn't eat them), a bag of fancy bath salts and a box of chocolates. There was no reason, he just did it. The daffodils have been distributed around my house (not near the food preparation areas) and are giving off a gentle scent of spring and providing an impressive show of yellow hope for the re-emergence of things to come. The chocolates were a welcome Sunday night treat for us both and the bath salts provided me with a blissful soak whilst listening to Radio 4 and ignoring the chaos of our house. I don't get out loads, I don't go to spas or for lots of beauty stuff but I can safely say those few little things bought me more pleasure than a day of preening or treatments and I felt renewed and ready to face the onslaught of a poorly child and a child in rude health making the most of the attention being on the poorly sibling and therefore continuing her death defying climbing campaign. I seem to love spring flowers and their herald more each year.

What are your little things which bring you a ray of sunshine?
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Flowers from my hubby are always lovely; my little grandsons phoning to tell me their news; coffee with a very close friend; handwritten letters from friends in the Midlands( as opposed to e-mails )

I totally agree - it's the little things.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Oh bless him! Yes, every so often these blokes we love to criticise really come up with the goods.

Little things that are not so little:

A good natter and many laughs with a friend
    A meal and just slightly too much wine with good friends
    (Still) watching my son playing cricket or grandsons playing cricket / baseball
    Mr SW saying (unprompted) "Do you fancy a walk?"
    The magic words "I love you, Grandma."
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Currently living in the hope that my favourite football team currently
    playing in League 1 will knock the stuffing out of a long-ball (see today's
    Daily Mail) Premier League team when they play against each other later
    this month.
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Little things I love - hubby cooking dinner, or, out of the blue, suggesting dining out! Most of all, our GD taking my hand, leading me to the kitchen, and pointing to what she wants, saying nan nan nan! (She's nearly 14 months old!)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    How lovely of Mr LV, like you say you don't need spas, just your bath and peace and quiet...so glad you enjoyed it...the things that make my day , is when my youngest GC pops her head around the door ..then runs over and gives me a big kiss...she is 2.. :D:D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    What a lovely gesture, you deserve to be spoiled. My rays of sunshine are.

Always have fresh flowers
    Laughter
    Phone calls from family and friends
    Now being able to get out my bed in the morning :lol:
    This forum and forum friends
    A nice glass of wine
    Hearing good news xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Those are all such lovely things, I should add the sound of two little voices singing their words to the twinkle twinkle wheels on the bus combo tune they have accidentally invented along with the heavenly feel of either of them snuggled up asleep on me...I'm going to miss that when it is gone.

Ichabod, you never know, your team might get lucky and that pitch might be your extra man. The reds are used to playing on the best of pitches. Still, it will be a good match and a money spinner for you...not sure you will win though, you might have stood a fair chance last season but we seem to have a half decent management team this season.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh bless him, what a star! He pitched that absolutely right, didn't he? I have two bunches of daffodils in my kitchen to remind me of my Pa, they were his favourite flowers. I am more wheezy than usual but it's worth it, the splash of sunny yellow is very cheering!

Little things that make my day, hmmmm, well, winter sunshine is one, the first cup of tea (I was mightily fighting temptation at 3am to get up and make one), having a takeaway on a Friday night ( a rare treat but always welcome) and getting into a clean bed, wearing a clean nightdress. Can't beat that one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    Clean sheets and nightie? Oh yes!

Better still, the first cricket match of the season. I still get excited :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    OH picked up a Mc Donalds so I wouldn't need to cook :D but they forgot to put my cheeseburger in the bag.
    :roll: It is the thought that counts, and any thinking is welcome in this house.

I had intended to buy a Meal for 2 from M&S as I have over £50 worth of vouchers but just couldn't get myself together to go shopping.

I think for us valentine's food is the new bunch of flowers!

Ichabod are you going to watch the match live or on TV tonight? My team got through to the quarters....Also wondering which team Bobby Charlton will support.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Daffodils always remind me of my Dad too as the last time I spoke to him he was reminding me it was time to get my daffodil bulbs in. They are such a splash of colour at this time of year but I refuse to buy them at Christmas.

The feeling of clean sheets is lovely and the sound of my Grandsons voices.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    lovely to see all the bulbs coming up ..there is a grass verg nearby and its full of crocus... :balloon:
    Love
    Barbara