OA first timer

Options
Nanad
Nanad Member Posts: 14
edited 16. Feb 2015, 10:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have just been diagnosed with OA in neck, upper and lower spine, hips, shoulder and big toe??? I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. I have had lots of questions and nearly all of them have been answered just by looking through the board. You have made my life a lot easier knowing I am not alone.

I will keep taking the tabs and smiling
Hope you all have a Arthritis free time.

Once again thanks :D:D:D

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Nanad, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. You are far from alone, there are around 8-10 million OA-ers in the UK so welcome to our creaky gang. :) I have it in both ankles, both knees, somewhat in both hips, and it plus another form in other joints.

I am pleased that you have taken the time to read at least a little of the forum, we are all knowledgeable and practising arthritics so know our stuff. I hope we can help with information and support: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello nanad and welcome :D

Please keep on looking and, if feel like it, joining in. And, if you've any questions, just ask. We don't bite :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I have OA lumbar spine, both knees (one partly replaced; the other needs replacing) and left ankle (which needs surgery this year).

Living with OA is a challenge. I have been greatly helped by the wonderful people I've met through this forum, so please keep posting.

Keep pushing yourself but at the same time make sure you listen to your body.

If you encounter anyone who cannot seem to understand your limitations do an internet seach for "The Spoon Theory" and "There's a Gorilla in the House". Both of these should clearly explain to your doubters what your daily challenges are.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome Nanad
    Keep reading the posts but feel free to ask any questions you want to.
    Knowledge is power :wink:
    Also join in anywhere you want to
    I have OA in neck, spine, hips, and ankle.
    Love
    Hileena
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Nanad, I have a RA, and I have joined recently after being a reader for lot of time. One of the great thing of this forum, is your query never goes unanswered. You can get at-least few answers to your query, which are based either on member’s own experience or their acquaintances’. But it’s always good to know there are people – actually lot of people :( – around us who suffer this pain, choose to fight against it, and lend their support to other sufferers too. And even this can make you feel little better :P .

Hope you have good time around the forum. Don’t hesitate to join, whenever you feel.

Best wishes,
    Anna.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Nanad
    Glad the forum has been such a big help to you,if you say with us we are good at supporting one another...if not I do wish you well..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Nanad
    Options
    Hello to all you lovely people who replied to me. My biggest problem seems to be taking it easy when I feel well, I do too much and regret it the next day but I have always been someone who keeps going so I suppose it will take me a while to adjust.
    The other thing I don't like is when I have to change my tablets that seem to be working only to go back for a checkup and the Dr changes them. Still I have to trust he knows best. So far still having a good week.

Do any of you suffer from dry red eyes as well as this seems to crop up every time I have bad joints. I get fed up going to the optician and having to buy his expensive drops.

Thanks to you all and hope you are having a good day too :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Learning to pace ourselves can be a challenge but is a necessary skill to master. If you prefer a medication then don't be afraid to ask your GP to keep you on it - he is living with the theory but you have the reality. What you want is what matters here, not his preferences.

I don't know about the eyes thing, it could be linked but it could also be coincidental. It becomes easy for us to blame everything else that happens to us on arthritis but things happen regardless of being arthritic. Try keeping a note of when this happens to establish whether there is a link or not. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Achieving a balance is hard even for us old hands and we all fall foul of it at times. I guess it's an ongoing thing :roll:

If I was asked to change meds that I felt were working well I'd ask why. I see us as partners and my docs are very good at explaining the whys and wherefores of decisions.

Ask the GP about your eyes next time you go there. It might be that a very cheap saline solution would do the trick. Or just ask your local pharmacist – but tell him which other meds you're on :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi Nanad, welcome from another OA first timer. I do get dry red eyes occasionally; I am not sure whether there is any link. If arthritis has to affect our vision, it’s RA that plays a major role I guess than OA. If you are getting it repeatedly, a chat with GP would be worth trying for.

Arthritis teaches us to accept our limitation (it’s a slow phenomenon though :roll: ) and appreciate our capabilities. Each one of us has to learn on our own to balance our body, and co-operate. Forum is full of wonderful people and I wish you have a good time here.

Chris.
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hello Nanad, I have trouble with dry eyes all the time I get snow tears on prescription but I'm a pensioner so i get free prescriptions, they are a bit of help but not brilliant.the optician once told me to use baby shampoo and a cotton bud and rub the eye firmly right across the lashes, it stings a bit and your eyes look a bit red after but not for long, it really does work though,just mix a little of the shampoo in warm water and give it a go,by the way I have R/A and O/A and I was told its the R/A that causes dry eyes.
  • Nanad
    Options
    Hi All
    I have been tested for RA but my doctor is going to do more tests as he said sometimes it doesn't show up immediately. I definately have OA as the results were all positive so hey ho :)
    My most debilitating thing is the muscle spasms in my back and hips, they freeze in a spasm and can take days to calm down - tried several different pain killers inc Naproxin Ibruproven co codimol diazapam (2mg and 5mg) etc. I find the gabapentin works better than some for that.
    I was over prescribed drugs (by a doctor who 4 weeks later left due to break down :( and the end result was I have problems with my liver being unable to tolerate pain killers.
    My new doctor told me to try several combinations and then reorder the ones I think actually work ha just what you nice ladies said weeks ago.
    Oh to be in a lovely warm country just now mmmm Thanks all
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We are all different in what helps or not (one man's poison is another's blessed relief) and it can take some time in trying different things to see what helps the most. If your liver is already in trouble then I sincerely hope you don't have RA (or any other form of auto-immune arthritis) because it's the liver and kidneys that clear them through the body, so you may be denied the drugs that might help for that reason.

I know that when one joint or another is playing up then I hold myself differently, move differently and this places strain on other joints. My big toes happily go into spasm at a moment's notice, my back too - I have to concentrate on every move I make so as not to move too awkwardly. DD
  • Nanad
    Options
    Hi dreamdaisy
    Yes I know what you mean, my big toe can cramp just by looking at it, although I did wonder if I was holding myself to one side as my hip was sore - I have learnt many things on these posts and the best one is never do anything suddenly - the one about the carrier bag sounded so funny, I laughed out loud, and then tried it and it is brilliant :lol:

Thanks
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah yes, the carrier bags, I have one on my car seat. I remember a memorable Christmas when we had our widowed mothers to stay and both were struggling with getting up from our dralon-covered dining room chairs. I had a T*sc* bag so I could twirl at my leisure: both very elderly ladies refused because they 'weren't that bad'. No, of course they weren't :roll: but they needed either me or The Spouse to help them get up. FCOL (for crying out loud). Both also refused to use sticks when out and about, preferring to use us as props (I was battling with two crutches but my Ma still clung to one of my arms). I am not thankful about much to do with this arthritis malarkey but I am pleased that I am young enough to adapt.

We do hold ourselves differently, we cannot help but do so and we also tense our muscles due to pain. I have a weekly massage from a sports' masseur and she loosens many knotted muscles - it hurts but it's worth it. DD