Hobson's Choice?

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 11. Feb 2015, 03:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have OA right knee (partially replaced 2009); in my left knee (needs replacing), in my lumbar spine (together with degenerative disc disease) and in my left ankle.

Left ankle now swelling quite alarmingly. Saw GP last week (she looked to be a child of 12 but knew her stuf! I'm getting old ...).

Have agreed for referral to physio in an attempt to try to hold off ankle fusion or replacement. She also prescribed a 10% Ibugel gel to use - which does take the edge off the joint for about 20 minutes after use. I am on minimum 200mg Tramadol a day, minimum of 300mg Paracetamol a day and can top up both - and regularly do. In addition, I take cod liver oil, and use crutches to walk with. My car is an automatic (thankfully or I'd not be driving).

As soon as I ask to see my Ortho Cons about this ankle I am effectively agreeing to surgery. He told me in 2012 that it now needed 'brutal and bone destroying surgery' and that a fusion was the next step. I am concerned about my knee replacement on the right leg whilst I am non weight bearing on the left ankle post op.

I know this needs to be done and it's Hobsons Choice. I also know it will need to be done this year but my partner is still getting over his surgery from last October and this has meant I have no help with tasks in the home at the moment.

My friends have offered to help with things such as housework but I cannot expect them to do this for what is likely to be 3 months.

So I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had an ankle fusion but also have already had a replaced joint on the other leg? If so, did the replacement hold up or did it struggle?

I've researched ankle fusion so know what would happen with the op but you can't really beat first hand knowledge and experience in my book.

Thanks for reading.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You have a lot on your plate, Grace, and have had for some time. The good thing is it sounds as if you are in good hands. Your surgeon is willing to operate and your GP is willing to do whatever she can to enable you to postpone it. And your friends are willing to help out post-surgery.

I understand your concerns but can't, offhand, recall anyone on here having been in that situation. As you may know I have two TKRs. (Well, plus a revision.) I had them in 1981 when my ankles were in a bad way and, to make things worse, back then I had to keep the operated leg elevated and not walk on it for about 10 days. When I finally was allowed to walk round my bed I thought I'd never walk again. The ankle pain was excruciating even though I was essentially only hopping with all my weight on a gutter frame.

But slowly my ankles accepted they had to move again. One of the TKRs was replaced about 5 years ago and, in the intervening years, my ankles had fused themselves ('Perfectly', according to the foot ortho guy). It was a painful process.

This isn't entirely relevant to you but I'm telling you because it might be as relevant as it gets if no-one else has been in your situation. You may decide to let your ankle do a DIY job as mine did (Though with the aid of surgical shoes which kept them in the best position for donkeys' years beforehand) or you may feel that, if my ankles could cope with a TKR then your TKR can cope with your ankles. Alas, there are no certainties in arthritic life. We take the meds, do the exercises and hope for the best. I wish you good luck in whatever course of action you take, or don't take.

By the way, why not ask your friends how much help they could offer for how long? They sound willing and kind. You might have a pleasant surprise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Grace
    What a decision you have to make..I can see your concerns..I have been balancing the surgery thing..had one THR and the other needs doing but so does my back and thumb...its so hard to know what to do for the best..at least you are doing something and not sticking your head in the sand like me.. :roll: sorry I cant help on the ankle thing,but hopefully someone will come along with some answers....maybe like SW says you could let it fuse..but even that would be painful and they don't all fuse in the best way..hope whatever you decide is the right one and it all goes well for you x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your wisdom.

I've not yet seen the consultant or triggered this referral as I want to see if the physio will help. I don't think it will buy me much time but anything is better than nothing. Down in this neck of the woods, it's the 18 week referral to treatment path so I could probably have a good go at guessing when it will all kick off once I ask my GP to make that referral.

I've already been contacted by the physio dept., and have an appointment for this coming Friday! I can't quite believe it's that quick and naturally I'm now wondering what the GP put on the referral with having been given an appointment that quickly.

By the time I got home from work today my ankle looked like a balloon again and as my appointment is for 5pm on Friday this may be quite providential in that the swelling gets worse the further through the day. Therefore the physio should see it at it's most 'glorious'.

Thanks again.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wouldn't read anything into the quick reply, GraceB - my physio department rang me the morning after I'd seen my rheumatologist to book me in for the following day, good service I thought! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben