My challenge next week is ...

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 23. Feb 2015, 14:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
.. to drive from Kent to Coventry so I can get to my little brother's wedding.

Due to health, my partner is unable to go so I've got to do all the driving and it's daunting. My late sister's husband is travelling with me so I have company but bless him, he'll be as much use as a chocolate tea pot for keeping an eye out for junction numbers, etc., as a back up to the sat nav. He doesn't drive so I can't share the driving.

So, if you are travelling on 20th Feb on M20, Dartford Crossing, M25, M1 and then M6 ending up in Coventry and are in service stations watch out for me. You'll have no problems in determining that it's me. I then reverse this journey on the Sunday to come home.

A frazzled brunette female falling out of a light blue Hyundai ix20, '63' plate, in a blue badge space, with blue crutches. This individual will be hauling herself up from the driver's seat making very peculiar faces, grunting with pain, and then staggering into the services. This person will be lurching to and fro muttering as she staggers.

As the journey progresses, the stops will become more frequent. I intend to drive 45-60 minutes and then have a break of about 20 minutes or so, and then attempt the next part of my journey. This pattern will be repeated throughout the trip both ways.

At the end of the journey I have an adapted room waiting for me at the hotel and a lovely wedding on the Saturday afternoon to look forward to.

As a precaution I have taken the following week off work to rest and recuperate from my marathon.

Please send positive thoughts my way - I'm going to need good luck and fortune on my side.

Thank you.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Grace
    You have done all the planning you can now.
    That's good. I know you have planned stops but have a look and see if there are other places that you can go off {if you need to} just as a precaution.
    I don't know that end of the world :lol: I'm in the North East...how far is it?
    I don't do long drives now.....still drive but short distances. OH does the long drives and even then he has to stop more often than he would if he was on his own.
    It will be good to have someone with you even if he doesn't drive........its company.
    I know the term Chocolate teapot :lol: The other one we use is Chocolate fireguard :wink: or I suppose a northern one....As much use as a Tapioca Pit Prop :lol:

You have a lovely wedding to go to so keep that in mind.
    Enjoy yourself.
    You are sensible taking the week off work and coming back you'll be more relaxed......no time limit.
    Enjoy :D
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Grace
    Very Daunting I know, but good for you attempting it,I think there are so many thing's we put off in life, especially with something like arthritis..you have done your planning...I hope the journeys goes really well for you..enjoy the wedding and the hotel....I am sure your little brother will be thrilled to have you there... :) x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Take all the time you need, you seem to have things planned well and I hope it all goes smoothly! I also hope you enjoy the wedding. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hello Grace,

I'm hoping I can put your mind at ease a little. I'm from Essex, but now live 13 miles south of Coventry and I promise you we are not on the other side of the world. My husband's family are in Somerset and rarely venture this far....they seem to think we are on another planet. We are in the Midlands and not as far north as everyone thinks.

Although I don't do the driving we visit family in Essex, in fact we are going this weekend. The M1 is a lot easier now that, I think, the roadworks have finished. I know your trip must seem daunting, but on a good run, without stops, we can do the journey from Southend in just over 2 hours. If you take it steady with your planned stops, and a few deep breaths, you shouldn't find it too overwhelming.

I am sure being at the wedding will make it all worthwhile and that you manage to not get too stressed thinking about it. I will be looking out for you if I am out and about that day!.

I hope you have fun and it all works out better than you anticipate. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Susie
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Grace,

You have made your plans, and as long as you have plenty of stops I`m sure you will be fine. We have to have lots of stops on long journeys, so you are not alone.

I hope you have safe journeys, and enjoy the wedding - just think of the sense of achievement you`ll have when you get back home.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I admire you for even thinking of it, Grace, but your plans sound good. I hope you enjoy it hugely.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies, most useful suggestions and support.

Yes it is daunting and a challenge but we've lost so many family members to cancer the last few years so very important people will be missing. The wedding is on 21st - this would have been my dad's 90th birthday. We lost him OCtober 2013 (lung cancer); my sister Sue in February 2013 (pancreatic cancer) and my neice Kirsty (Sue's daughter when she was 20) in OCtober 2006 to ovarian cancer. So it's really important I go, as its going to be a very emotional day for the family.

It's about a 3hr 40 minute drive (actual driving time) door to door. I need to move every 45-60 minutes so I know it'll take me about 5 hours.

I'll do it - I'm a typical Taurean - stubborn.

I'll let you know how I get on afterwards.

Thanks again,
    Take care,
    GraceB
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi Grace,

I just want to wish you well for this weekend and your journeys. I hope the weather and the traffic are kind to you and that you have a lovely time when you get there.

Take care and please let us know how you get on.

I will keep an eye out for you!

Susie
  • GraceB
    Options
    Well, I got to the wedding and back.

Both journeys were horrendous due to traffic issues. Going we got stuck at Dartford getting out of Kent, and then at the start of the M1 due to roadworks (heavy traffic there). At the end of the M1 where we joined the M6 there was a 50mph average speed thing from junction 15 to where we left at junction 19. However, I beat the younger contingent who panicked when they heard "M25 shut ". They failed to realise it was shut the other side of the M25. As a result, they diverted when they didn't need to and added time.

Coming back, the M1 was shut just where we needed to get off onto the M25 to come back into Kent. So, we went via the A414 St Albans/ Hatfield then the A1M and back onto the M25. After that we did really well, but that closure added two hours onto our journey back.

Sadly the young-uns left 2.5 hrs after we did, yet arrived home an hour after us as they gambled on the M1 being re-opened and their gamble paid off by the time they got to that part! :roll: Never mind, we all did both journeys safely and that's what matters.

I took the precaution of taking this week off work and am so glad that I did this. I would not have been fit to go in today.

As for the wedding itself? All went very well I'm pleased to say. None of the bridesmaids or page boys were ill (or ruined their outfits). The bride and groom had a wonderful time and so did we all.

My room at the hotel was good. Nice and warm, comfy bed, plenty of refreshments in the room. The breakfasts were excellent (I was very naughty and had a full English both days!).

So, here I am back home. I have some photos as a reminder of the day, lovely memories, plus the complimentary items from the hotel room. Well you do - don't you??

GraceB
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm so pleased you got there and back safely, Grace, and that you had a lovely time at the wedding.

Put your feet up during your week off.