Pain meds and side effects.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 16. Feb 2015, 00:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I've been prescribed Dihydrocodeine for pain and although its not as bad as straight Codeine causing my plumbing to block up I still find they still cause me some problems, so can I ask do you get the same problem with pain patches?. :?: :oops:

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I'm no help here
    I was given in once and was so spaced out :lol: I came off it the second day.
    I'll stick to the codeine and the side effects :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mell..long time no hear...
    I have the patches..Butrans..I did change from Fentanyl ..because they really did bung me up..the Butrans do, but not has bad..I have never taken Dihydrocodeine ..so don't really know the difference.. its rotten when we have to depend on these things to get through the day..and cope with the side effects...hope someone comes along with more info..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Never had patches. Did have dihydrocodeine years ago but it was a rare day that I took four. I could get away with 2 per day but, after that I needed a supply of figs to hand for unblocking purposes.

Is the boron still helping?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I take 2x500g of dihydracodeine 4 times a day. I have been taking them for about 18 months and although early on I had plumbing problems I don't have any problems with them at all now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is a common side-effect with any of the stronger pain-relief methods, we can't have it all ways, alas. Make sure you drink plenty of water to help soften matters plus prunes and figs are good (and natural) unblockers. Good luck - I hope things improve. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi all thanks muchly for the replies, I can't even look at Codeine its like cement, that said my main problem is back log along the whole digestive tracked, dried figs help but they're not much use when things get bad, my biggest problem by far is incredible levels of reflux if do take them, firstly I can't poo, then me tum blows up and then the reflux kicks in and it blights me big time, my mum also gets it but i get it much worse, I have two choices when I think of taking Dihydrocodeine, eat figs and neck back laxatives and eat as little as possible, mind you its a miserable existence thats for sure, I can understand why people get depressed, the b****y knees are also defiantly getting worse, these days I'm lucky if I get 2 hours sleep a night it due to reflux and pain, I know a lot of you are a lot worse off than me so God only knows how you lot can keep so chipper with all you suffer, I'm scared of dying like most people but sometimes when its really really bad I actually feel it might just be a bonus if I didn't didn't wake up one morning.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Yes, I'm firmly of the belief that pain is preferable to the side effects of the meds to relieve it. You know where you are with pain even if you don't like being where you are :roll:

Reflux, however, is another matter. Don't just put up with it, Mell, as it can damage your oesophagus. See your GP and get something for it. And don't eat for two hours before bed.

To keep things on the move, drink plenty of water, as DD has said, and eat plenty of veg, fruit, wholemeal bread and pasta, brown rice, beans and legumes.

And please believe me when I say it would not 'be a bonus' for anyone if you failed to wake up one morning. :loverain:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Mell dont say that you would be missed.. but I can see how much the pain is getting you down..it really is shift..have you had any test for IBS maybe you need something for this...there are so many on here with it...has for people being worse off it never works like that your pain is yours ...I wounder if the patches would help you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi, I was prescribed this drug dihydrocodeine 4 x 60 mg (to take as and when needed) as I have OA of knee. Unfortunately, I couldn’t tolerate it due to horrid drowsiness and headache. I used to remain literally overly sedated throughout the day, especially when I used to take it 4 times a day. I couldn’t really get constipated while on dihydro but soon doc changed me to Co-dydramol and I am thankful to him for that.

Sorry, I have no better advice than drinking plenty of water and balanced diet to deal with pumping problem. I think, if you’re not having bowel movement at least every 2 to 3 days, you should go back to your doctor and ask for alternative. Sorry no experience of patches yet. Hope you find a way to get over this soon.

Chris.