First rheumatology appointment

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 19. Feb 2015, 13:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. Forgive me if there is a post about this somewhere, but I can't find anything.

Saw my GP today and he decided to send me to see a rheumatologist, which I'm very pleased about. I've had the bilateral trochanteric bursitis for over a year and steroid injections and stretching exercises have not helped. My hands are very painful too - both thumb joints and finger joints - and this, as well as my painful knees and foot has got me down a little. Also got aching upper arms which are quite sore when pressed. Blood tests showed no inflammation and I believe my GP thinks it might be fibromyalgia, as well as the OA. I've had steroid injections from another doctor into my left thumb in the past, but as the right is also now painful, as well as my finger joints, I thought I would wait and see the rheumatologist as a 'complete package', so to speak. Does that make sense? Do they have 'injection clinics'?

I just wondered what your first rheumatology appointment was like. What sort of questions are asked and what questions should I ask? Any other tips? This is the first time I've ever seen a rheumatologist so I want to get the most out the consultation.

Thanks in advance,
Meg

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Meg, my first one was a few years ago now...but I had one last year and he was brilliant ..he wanted to know my history from being young...Im 64 now... :o he ordered all bloods,MRIs, checked my fingernail and toes nails..asked about any pain ..swelling.. hair loss..dry mouth funny taste..so make a long list and hopefully you will get a good one, if not make sure you don't come out till they listen..or you will regret not having your say..make 2 list one for anything you can think of that shouldn't be..and another of questions you have..I didn't have to undress but not sure if they are all the same..and good luck let us know, then we can do pocket duties xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Megrose, I am pleased that you have been given this opportunity and I hope your goes much better than my first one (where I was told I didn't have any form of inflammatory arthritis whatsoever :roll: ). My second one (six months later) was far better in that the rheumatologist ordered blood tests, pressed and prodded my tender bit, roared with laughter when I suggested that diet may make a difference and then put me on sulphasalazine.

We had a member called Toots (I think she hailed from Scotland) who gave us an on-going progress report of her first (and possibly subsequent) appointments but, having a somewhat grim day myself I lack the inclination to find her thread. :oops: I aim to do better tomorrow, OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Found it! Here we go. Toots details her first rheumatology appointment. It's about the 3rd or 4th post down. Good luck, megrose.
    http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41125&p=545401&hilit=toots#p545401
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you so much, Barbara, DD and Sticky. I've had a look at Toots' post and found it extremely useful. I'm taking your advice, Barbara, and am going to work on making notes so that I'm well prepared. I've been into the village today to do some shopping and can't believe how tired I am. I suppose being in pain/discomfort all the time is tiring anyway.

Hopefully, I won't have to wait too long for the appointment. The NHS Choices page says that it is a two week wait to see a rheumatologist at the hospital I'm going to, but, of course, I don't know how up-to-date that is.

I hope you're feeling a little better today, DD.

Meg :loverain:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    My first one I did have to strip and put on a hospital gown, she did give me a good examination. I hope all goes well for you meg will gladly be in your pocket if needed............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Meg,

My first appointment was recent comparatively (December 2013). As Barbara rightly mentioned, please keep a diary of your symptoms so that you should be able to describe your current symptoms and when they started. I remember my knees and feet were swollen at that time. I was in hospital gown and he did some physical examination at tender points before ordering an x-ray and blood test.
    It’s always best to ask them as many questions as you can (with being assertive), what's causing this pain, what we can do to treat it and what could be the long term prognosis. At my first appointment I was literally fobbed off and I couldn’t put up myself well. Things were much better in second one.

Make sure you get to know what you can expect out of his prescriptions (if any), there is no sureness with this condition, but I am sure he shall be able to give some reassurance. Wishing you good luck and wish me the same too as I have the one scheduled in next few days.

Anna.
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you Marie and Anna for your helpful comments.

Wishing you good luck with your upcoming appointment, Anna. Hope that all goes well.

Meg
  • Megrose489
    Options
    I heard from the hospital today and have got an appointment on Tuesday 24th March - so I haven't had to wait too long.

I've started keeping a symptom diary and have made notes of what has been happening over the past two years.

I will get back to you all for pocket duties when the time comes, if that's OK.

Thanks,

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Right, I should be around that day so count me in: good luck, you may not get answers on the day but hopefully it will lead to more being discovered about what's going on with you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben