Help..High Tibial Osteotomy

Options
Kingfisher
Kingfisher Member Posts: 9
edited 8. Mar 2015, 09:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum & I'm really looking for a bit of information/help regarding a high tibial osteotomy. I'm due to go for the operation next Wednesday & I'm so nervous as I don't know what to expect. I'm also having a staple taken out that was put in when I was 12, it was placed on my fibular to stop it growing so my tibia could catch up but due to my condition I stopped growing. I have a condition called Schmidt metaphsyl achondroplasia which effects my back, hips, knees & ankles which in turn has given me severe Arthritis in all of the above. My surgery is at Robert Jones Agnes Hunt in Oswestry & my surgeon is Mr Gallacher. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards J

Comments

• Creakykar
    Creakykar Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've has a TT osteotomy.

What information do you need?
  • Kingfisher
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm after any information really as I'm not sure what to expect. I hope you don't mind me asking, how long ago was your surgery?
    Regards J
  • Creakykar
    Creakykar Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I had my surgery around 6 years ago. I'm too young for a knee replacement s this was the surgeons choice of surgery. He lifted my patella tendon off the tibia, he did this by shaving the bone it was attached too, then pretty much twisting leg around and screwing the bone back on.

Was it painful - dam right it was. I have had 9 surgeries the last 6 years and this was the worst of them all (sorry if not what you wanted to hear but this is the truth). Good thing was that the nurses on the orthopaedic ward were familiar with the procedure and had plenty of morphine to hand whenever I needed it.

I was on MTX at the time of surgery which I;m slowed down the recovery. It took around 9 months for my knee to be somewhat back to normal.
    Even now my quads and hamstrings on that leg have yet to catch up in size.
    You will need to prepare for some muscle wasting as the whole mechanics of your leg will change.

I was put in a restrictive knee brace for a few months afterwards. Started off with leg straightish. Then every 4-6 weeks they would adjust the angle at which I could bend my knee.

I am just now getting further problems with my knee so I've had about 6 years of good knee action.

Since having it done I've not been able to kneel on that leg since, so take this into account.

Was the pain worth it? ... yes it was.. I've had a good 6 years out of it. My next surgery may be a knee replacement but putting that off for 6 years is certainly worth it for me at my age (34) as we all know artificial knees don't last forever.

If you need any more info please ask. I;m more than happy to help. x
  • Kingfisher
    Options
    Thank you for being honest, that's what I was hoping for. I'm only 42 & in a similar position, that is I am too young for a knee replacement but it's also to straighten the leg out as I have come considerable bowing. When I do eventually have new knees I have to have them specially made due to my condition. I am a bit worried about the pain side of things as I'm on quite a lot of medication as it is, so I'm scared about having to increase the dose.
    I am prepared for the long haul though as it's both legs (but doing one at a time).

Again thank you for your honesty ...Jules x
  • Kingfisher
    Options
    One week post surgery now & still in an awful lot of pain. Wound hasn't closed properly yet but fingers crossed it will be okay for next dressing change. The only real issue is my ankle, it's so bruised, swollen & the pain from that is excruciating I'm beginning to wonder if there is a possible fracture there? Is it something someone else has experienced with this surgery? On the upside on the operated leg I have gained 1&1/2" in height & it's straight, been a little person it means the world to me ..Jules x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I've not had (or even heard of) this surgery but I've had three TKRs and two THRs. My first two TKRs were back in 1981 and, back then, you weren't allowed to stand on them for 10 days post-op. When I finally did I thought I'd never walk again. I could put no weight at all on the foot beneath the operated knee and the other one was very uncooperative too after its rest. How are you managing with walking?

However, my story and yours are different. I'm afraid I've never even heard of your condition previously. If you have real concerns that your ankle could be broken you should contact a medical professional – the ward you were on or your GP or maybe whoever changes your dressing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello kingfisher..
    Sorry you are in a lot of pain, wish I could advise ,but I have had a THR so not the same..what I would say is a week is nothing..I found all the bruising came out then, but if you are worried i would certainly have a word with your health visitor or GP..and let them look at the wound..I hope thing settles down very soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kingfisher
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I'm PWB but they said I can total weight if it's not too painful.....hmmm think that might be a couple of weeks yet! I'm finding it difficult because most of the weight I'm transferring on to my other very dodgy leg but I'm sure it will get easier with time. If the pain & swelling in my ankle doesn't get any easier by tomorrow morning I will phone the hospital where I had it done ( which I have to say for nhs it was amazing!) ...Jules x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I hope it's a little easier today.

I've had all my ops on the NHS and they came up trumps every time.

Please let us know how you get on. I hope things improve quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright