Doorstep scams related to arthritis

Options
elgee
elgee Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Feb 2015, 16:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. I'm new to this forum and need some help regarding a purchase my 91 year old father in law made following a cold call.
He bought a recliner/massage chair from a firm called Arthritis We Care which cost over twice the amount advertised online for similar chairs. There was no record of VAT on the invoice and when I spoke to them they said they had paid the VAT and claimed it back.
Has anybody had dealings with this company and should I be worried? :?:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elgee,

Welcome to the forum, what a reason to have to join, hopefully someone will have some advice. Have you got any paperwork relating to the sale? Might be a start to chat to your local council?

Just to be clear, we at Arthritis Care have nothing to do with this firm, even though the name is very similar :wink:

Take care
    Mod YEH
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I haven't come across any Arthritis based scams, I do get a lot of cold calls though on my mobile!! My late father-in-law made this poster and we still have it on our door now! It says:-
    No Canvassers, No religious groups, No Collectors, No Market Research, No Salesmen Thank you.

And it works!!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    There is an arthritis we care and an arthritis we care limited mentioned online. I'm not sure if they are the same. There is already a thread on here about the company. I'll bump it up for you. It is on the Chat to our helpline team thread. Mods can it be moved so this AC member can see it?

Many companies target older people and they will get into the home for a demonstration and then put pressure on them with special today only deals or loans. They will often use a name close to a reputable company to confuse the client.

Is he still in the cooling off period according to his contract?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    I have found this for you. I hope there is some information that can help you but act immediately.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5043153

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think the damage is done - I am so sorry. It's disgusting and shameful, these charlatans know who to target and they can be very persuasive. It may be worth your making a call to his local Trading Standards people (or the CAB) for advice about getting his money back. Those of us in pain, and so tired through a chronic lack of sleep, make very easy targets for those without a conscience. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    People who do this kind of thing make me so angry.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    I think this is the thread Elizabeth is referring to:

http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41624

Note this paragraph from the Helpline team:

Hi Elizabeth,

The key information we pass to people who are having problems with pressure sales is to contact their local Trading Standards and take their advice. (Mods feel free to copy this paragraph)

Kind regards

Guy
    Helplines Service

Hope this helps

Moderator AC
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    That`s a horrible thing to happen, and I would probably do as suggested and contact Trading Standards. Having said that, we had to contact them about a different matter, and they didn`t exactly respond quickly, so you might have to keep on top of them.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Trading standards were criticised in the link I put up but there is some good advice about the company's email/address and chargeback via credit cards etc.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Elgee, have you been able to read the contract and see if you are still within the cooling off period to cancel. You should have 14 days from the delivery of the goods.

You could also try to get a reduction in the price from the company.

Haven't found out any information about the VAT yet. I'd have thought it should be included on the receipt.

Elizabeth.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    This is disgusting but seems to be happening all the time for the elderly and vulnerable..I hope you see the Link Elizabeth has put on..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    How did he pay for the chair

was it i full and does he have the chair as there are 14 days to cool off

how did he pay with a credit card then you are covered, cash not so much
    if it is by cheque they can be chased

remember if some one does not turn up with the good there is the small claims court

james