OA in both Knees at 34 and feeling more joint

Options
LDG
LDG Member Posts: 2
edited 8. Mar 2015, 15:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I was a very active person up until about a year and half ago when I started getting swelling and pain in my knees. I had an MRI which showed moderate degeneration in both my knees with the worst being behind the kneecap. I have been doing physio but the pain is just getting worse. I'm now starting to feel pain in my hips, wrists and other joints. I've been check for RA so its not that, but I thought that OA doesn't spread. Any other possible reasons for the pain? Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello LDG

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes

Moderator AC
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi LDG, I have Osteoporosis and R.A in my joints, I suffer with both Knee's as well as other joints being affected in my body. I'm 42 this year and I've been suffering most of my life. Loosing your independence is the worst thing. All I can say is if you need to talk just message me.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, welcome to our ghastly world - I am sorry you have had to find us. OA doesn't 'spread' as such but, when one joint (a knee, for example) becomes affected we alter the way we stand and move, thus throwing other joints out of kilter. They in their turn then start to present with similar symptoms.

There are two kinds of arthritis, OA (which is clumsily defined as the 'wear and tear' arthritis) then ones such as RA which are caused by an over-active immune system. There are around 200 kinds of auto-immune arthritic conditions so you cannot rule out RA because the tests said not. I have an auto-immune form, psoriatic arthritis, which does not test positively in bloods. The joint damage from that has led to OA so I have a creaky foot in both camps. Are any of your affected joints hot to the touch or swollen? Any form of arthritis is degenerative and progressive - once it's moved in it doesn't move out. I am eighteen years in now (I began when I was 37) but arthritis can affect anyone at any age - you are never too young to develop the disease. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hello LDG,

I am exactly in same boat. Recently discovered, my wrist joint has also developed OA, with knee already affected :? . I am still wondering why and how, in spite of taking all prescribed medications, trying to lead active life as much as I could. But, I do agree with someone here has rightly mentioned OA doesn’t spread from joint to joint. However, it surely progresses with age at different degrees, and we can’t really predict how it will progress. Generally, deformity caused in knees by OA, leads to more pressure on your other joints like hips, which can result in OA of those joints. Pain from one joint can prompt you to walk, move differently, leading other joint out of alignment, predisposing it to OA.

Have you ever considered the possibility of fibromyalgia?

Chris.
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi LDG and welcome to the family, alas

My OA presented itself in much the same way as yours except I was 51, first one joint then another and another, mine started in my hands/fingers (now just about every bone in my hands have been sore at various times – and that's a lot of bones, some worse than others). Not long after I found my feet and ankles were also suffering, and then my left knee decided to join the party painwise – my right knee had had painless crepitus noticeable since my mid 30s.

About four months after my joints started to hurt I was officially diagnosed by a Rhuemy with OA, and for the follow up visits over then next six months more joints joined the party. Personally, I think that I just became more aware of my body's persistent aches and pains – I went from someone who would take maybe a pack of paracetamol every two to three years to someone who has to have my paindullers prescribed.

So I suppose what I'm saying is, like DD and Chris01 said, changes in one joint can affect how you do things thus putting pressure on another joint and bringing them into play – also it may be that now you are sensitised to the pain that you are more likely to recognise the pain elsewhere.

I have certain joints which are very sensitive to the cold, so in winter I have to wear good socks and boots to protect my ankles, a knee support from time to time to keep my left knee warm, and gloves when possible to keep my finger joints from feeling the cold – but I also have Raynaud's as well now, so keeping my fingers warm is more vital, however there are times I can't wear gloves at work due to the task i'm undertaking.

Good luck
    Scoz
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hello and welcome LDG
    Sorry you've had to join us. I'm another of the younger members of the forum - I'm 39 and have had OA in my knees for nearly 10 years. Shortly after my diagnosis I managed to end up with reactive arthritis which affected any number of joints and that lasted a few years - but that's a post-viral thing and it came on very quickly so it sounds different to what you are experiencing. I spent a fair amount of time back and forth to the rheumy because my bloods apparently showed high levels of inflammation which they couldn't explain and I consistently came up as negative for RA. These days I get a few aches here and there but I'm not planning on having those looked at until I have to - I have very suspicious pains in my left elbow which I fear may be related to leaning on the stair bannisters!

In terms of staying active, I have found that a good physio is really important and I was lucky enough to get a series of gym sessions with my most recent round. It takes a lot to adjust to changing what you do for fitness - listen to your body and you'll find things which keep you moving :)

Good luck with everything
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello LDG and welcome to the forum
    This was my question quite a few years ago when I started with OA,I don't think they really understand OA and there is research being done into it,not always wear and tear like they say... I was training to be a fitness instructor after going to the gym for over 20 years...it started in my hip and after that it just took off in lots of joints..5 years on and I have had one hip replaced the other needs doing and so do a couple of disc in my back...I still exercise when I can, not at the gym :( at home..and It does help to keep these joints moving..
    Love
    Barbara