Hello, I'm back... Plus methotrexate, enbrel and prednisone!

Options
stlucia
stlucia Member Posts: 392
edited 23. Feb 2015, 03:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I've not been here for 2 years now I don't think... So Hello again!

I've just restarted methotrexate, prednisone and shortly will start enbrel. I took mtx and steroids last night for the first time again in about 3 years and I feel horrendous last night and today. Any tips to cope? I feel so sick, hit by a bus and totally zoned out. I need to sleep sleep sleep but I can't...

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, long time no see. What doses of meth and pred did you take? And did you take them on the same day? If so then your body has had one helluva hit of drugs - no wonder things are not going well. I suspect you may well have to weather the storm and I hope that things ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stlucia
    Options
    Thanks for replying DD, how are you?

Yes I took 15mg of pred and 15mg of MTX (day one of drugs after years) on the same day at the same time....Oh dear.....

x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear indeed - that's some memory lapse of what these things can do to us. A tip for the steroids: take them first thing because they mimic the body's own production of its version. Do the meth at night (on a different day) so you can sleep through the first few hours of it, don't forget the folic acid (says she who routinely forgets hers :wink: ) and as for the Enbrel make sure that has a different day too.

How am I? I could be better, I'm glad I'm not worse but know I will be one day. :lol: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Welcome back ..but so sorry you are suffering like this..its rotten when the meds that are suppose to help have such bad side effects..suppose its a matter of getting use to them...and I think sleep is a good idea...sorry I dont have any more advice ...but hopefully things will improve very soon ..let us know how you get on...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • trobbo
    trobbo Member Posts: 5
    Options
    My latest consultant tells me that Methotrexate helps the body NOT reject my Humira (another anti-TNF drug similar to Enbrel I believe).
    I didn't know this.
    I was taking my Humira in the morning and Methotrexate in the evening of the same day, which going on the consultant's advice is not wise.
    So I switched my Methotrexate to the evening before the Humira day to give the Humira more chance to be properly assimilated - or whatever happens to it.
    Incidentally I never feel any ill effect from Methotrexate (20mg weekly) I must be lucky :-)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    trobbo wrote:
    Incidentally I never feel any ill effect from Methotrexate (20mg weekly) I must be lucky :-)

Or, maybe more likely, those who do are unlucky. There will be a whole host of meth-takers out there who never come near these forums because all is well :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stlucia
    Options
    Hi DD, thanks for those tips, I didn't know to take Pred in the morning. I've been prescribed pred for every day so even the Mtx day...think just doing Pred am and Meth evening would be fine? I've collected some anti sickness tablets today so hopefully they will help. I'm sorry you aren't brilliant at the moment. It's tough isn't it, day in day out. What things do you do to keep your chin up? xx

Barbara, thank you for your message. You're right, sleep is a good thing! If only I could get a bit more - not easy with a toddler who is waking in the night again at the moment!

Trobbo, thanks for that tip - I'll have mine on different days when the Enbrel arrives but perhaps I ought to ask my consultant about taking the Mtx the evening before the Enbrel day. Thanks!

Stickywicket - I think you have hit the nail on the head!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I learned about the pred tip from another member on here. In your shoes I would pred in the morning then meth in the evening, with at least twelve hours between the two. Once the Enbrel arrives, well, that's easy to fit in: my hospital told me to leave at least forty-eight hours between my meth injection and my humira. When I have my 'flu jab I don't do either of them for that week (again on my hospital's advice). DD