Change of plan..............

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 20. Feb 2015, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
..............I am now to be put on Methotrexate instead of Azathioprine, I am just warning you all as I will probably be nipping your heads with questions :lol: I must admit I am a bit scared after reading about i,t although I know a lot of you have been/are on it so looking for all the advice I can get. xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah. Hmmm. I have had no trouble as such with meth (the tablet version caused a skin rash but the injected version has been fine) and we take it at far lower doses than for other conditions, but of course it's a daunting prospect. I take it this is to help your PMR? ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    Options
    Yes DD it is for the PMR, it is to try and get me off the Pred as every time I decrease I am back to square one. I will finally see a Rheumatologist in three weeks as it has been a Neurologist that diagnosed me although she has been in contact with the Rheumatologist that I am to see hence the change of plan. xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, I see. It sounds to be a logical step but it's taking you into unknown territory which is always bothersome. My steamer is boiling over so I have to go but I will be back tomorrow. Try not to fret too much, my lovely, we'll get there. ((( ))) DD

:loverain:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Best advice I can give you is; "DO NOT OVER GOOGLE". By all means, be informed and be proactive but please read reputable sites and bear in the mind that we are all different (although, I'm sure I am preaching to the choir). Also, folic acid is really important and makes a difference. Finally, remember that we are here for you. ;) x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just want to say I hope it works for you
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I hope the MTX helps you - I always took it with my evening meal, which seemed to work best for me, & meant I didn't feel too nauseous. It had no effect on the RA, but didn't give me any problems until coupled with humira.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Marie we are all behind you , and I really hope you get brilliant results..it will help if you read all the positive post..good luck..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I think it's a really good drug, Marie, I wish you well with it. I have a fair number of side effects like nausea and vomiting that I take another drug for. That helped me, but I was having extreme symptoms. My liver values go up and then down every few months. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to be too serious. Prepare to be patient, is my only advice, it takes a looong time to work. I think it took ever longer than the doctor's said for benefit in my case (PsA). It's worked partially for me, but I'll take any improvement.

Best wishes,
    Anna
  • villier
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, I saw neuro on the ward yesterday and the information she gave me was just the same as you all had informed me, she has given me a letter for my GP and a copy for me also printed out info. I see him next week and it looks like I could be started a week on Monday and take folic acid on the Friday I have to start at 5mg and build up to 10mg get my bloods done weekly and she has given me a sheet to record my results. I am comfortable in the sense that I know there is always someone on here that I can ask for advice if needed. I know it is going to take a while to see if it works I will just have to be patient. Thanks again all :loverain: :jheart: xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's a lovely low dose on which to begin, and I hope it's sufficient to make a difference, but it can take time to build in the system. Side effects are not guaranteed - I always work on the assumption they won't be a nuisance and so far, so good. :wink: We'll be here if needed, OK? DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I agree. 5 mls is a very low dose but it has to prove itself a congenial bedfellow to the rest of your meds so that's a wise move.

It is daunting, Marie, but you are not easily daunted and we are here, OK?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright