Common cold

Options
Sharon2960
Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
edited 4. Mar 2015, 07:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had three of them since the beginning of the year! Despite having the flu jab! Someone suggested maybe I should try taking a tonic if some sort - eg Seven Seas or similar; has anyone else tried this sort if thing, or got any tips on getting rid of a cold or not catching it in the first place?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have so far avoided any coughs and colds by using hand gel and anti-bac wipes when out and assiduous hand-hygiene at home. A friend was due to come round yesterday but contacted me saying she had a bad cold and would stay away, which was thoughtful of her. When out and about it is hard to avoid the snotty ones but that is where the hand gel and wipes come in useful.

Everyone catches a cold every now and again, it's part of the human condition, and the 'flu jab has nothing to do with it. Colds cannot be completely avoided but their effects can be mitigated. If you are on any kind of immune-suppressant meds then check with your rheumatology unit before you start taking any kind of supplement. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    You have been singularly unfortunate to get three in only 7 weeks but the flu jab gives no protection against colds, only against flu.

I guess the first requirement for protection is plenty of Vit C in the diet ie lots of veg and fruit. Like DD I'm keen on hand-washing and gel. I often find I'm the only one using the alcohol gel in the surgery or hospital and I guess that tells you all you need to know about the proliferation of germs in such places. I always use my anti-bac gel after being in the supermarket. Who knows how many germ-ridden hands have pushed those trolleys?

By all means ask your pharmacist if it's OK for you to take Seven Seas with your prescribed meds but isn't it just an expensive way of taking cod liver oil capsules?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Frequent hand washing and Hands-off-the-face approach!!! Resist all temptations to touch any part of the face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap). Keep your distances from people displaying symptoms like sneezing and coughing.
    Boost your natural immunity with vitamin C (go for citrus fruits), make sure your diet also includes adequate zinc to boost absorption.

Chris.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's true what Chris says about trying to avoid people with coughs and sneezes. My friends and family now know I'd rather they didn't come when they have colds.

However, I think you're an auto-immuner and, if you're on meth, citrus fruits aren't the best. Orange and grapefruit juice can increase the concentration of meth in the body. Also check with the pharmacist, telling him what meds you're on, before taking any supplements.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Well, still not managed to shake it off yet, tho starting to improve! Had ear infection too, been to docs twice, but he won't give antibiotics, says it will take its course and it will get better! Seems much of the population locally has this bug in some way - other half has been ill for fortnight too, with chest infection, as has his business partner! BUT, the Suns shining today, so the world seems a much better place. Hoping it disappears soon, looking forward to seeing people instead of being quarantined!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Antibiotics will not help a cold though they could help an ear infection. However, docs are much less likely to give them now as they have been over-prescribed in the past and patients have misused them so that they are becoming much less effective. My surgery has a big notice up warning patients not to expect them.

Yes, the sun is lovely and today, unlike yesterday and Monday, it comes without intermittent blizzards :wink:
    Steven Wright