peter Kay's phoenix nights

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 19. Feb 2015, 16:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Our children bought us tickets to see the above show, which was in aid of comic relief. It was on at the men arena in Manchester. Having previously been to the same venue to see Miranda I was quite anxious about the steps. A security man spotted me walking with my stick and directed us to a lift which was great and our seats were on the same level unlike last time when I had to hobble down what felt like 100 steps to get to our seats on the main floor. The show was good but I really couldn't enjoy it as my back was in excruciating pain despite having taken dullers beforehand. Worse was to come though when we were leaving the venue as we couldn't find the lift due to the huge crowd of people surging towards the exits. It was horrible to have to walk down several flights of steps one step at a time aware that I was holding people up. I don't think I will be going to another show at an arena or for that matter anywhere else :cry:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What a shame you couldn't relax and enjoy the fabulous show (I loved Phoenix Nights). My tactic is get there early and be amongst the last to leave, no matter how big or small the venue. I never worry about holding people up, after all they can do what I can't, but I do apologise for being slow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm sorry your enjoyment was spoilt. Never say 'never again' but we do have to plan carefully. Wherever I go I always ask about disabled facilities and usually, for a theatre, book a wheelchair slot as that way I can be sure I have a comfy, accessible seat and no-one climbing over my feet.

I think the only safe way for us is the way the airlines do it – first in and last out. That way you will find the lift easily and, if one is resigned to hanging around at the end, it's not so bad.

In situations where I have to go downstairs I have to go slowly – very slowly. I apologise to anyone behind me and encourage them to go ahead as that's easier all round.

Please don't let one bad experience dictate the rest of your life, bridesmum. Just plan ahead next time, ring the venue for advice and be prepared for leaving much later than planned.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My dil went to the same arena to watch Peter Kay..she is fit and well but said the rush at the end was horrendous .its along time since we went there and I remember how steep the steps are..such a shame they didnt think of this when building it next to the station...
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    We saw Andre Rieu at the Newcastle Arena, and we phoned ahead, and were given a better route in & out. We still waited until most folks had gone, just to be safer. We saw Andrea Bocelli at MEN, but that was years ago in pre-RA days. I don't think the seats are very comfortable even for the able-bodied.