And now another cold...

Options
BreakingDawn
BreakingDawn Member Posts: 7
edited 21. Feb 2015, 11:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all. I'm new to all this and still learning but does having inflammatory arthritis make you more prone to colds? It took 8 weeks to get over my last cold and now a week later I'm obviously coming down with another.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Breaking dawn

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.
    best wishes Mod on Friday
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, it's nice to see you over here! No, it doesn't make you more prone, not until you are on the immuno-suppressant drugs. I haven't had a cold for some time now (I am on a triple therapy so my immune system is well and truly squashed) but I am assiduous about hand hygiene, I have anti-bac wipes (for door handles, table tops, handrails etc. when out and about) and hand gel in my bag; my husband is very good about his hand hygiene too: he's out and about in the world far more than me, has hand gel in his car and uses it at home.

This is the classic time of year for coughs and snuffles, and some of the bugs can take a long time to clear up even for those without health troubles. We are also used to living in warm, stuffy environs and sometimes don't dress as well as we could for the cold weather. We have to take preventative measures (as should every one else) but humans are germ factories - it always amazes me how many people don't use the hand gel in hospitals. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Take cover, BreakingDawn, 'cos I'm coughing and sneezing as I type :lol: I am annoyed at catching my second cod since Christmas as I do all the hand hygiene stuff but sometimes they sneak in anyway.

As DD says, it's not the inflammatory arthritis that attracts the nasties but the immuno-suppresant meds we take for it. If you're on a DMARD such as methotrexate, sulphasalazine or hydroxychloroquine you are more likely to pick up colds and bugs. (However, if you're not, the arthritis has free rein :roll: .)

BUT, colds don't last for 8 weeks. What has probably happened is that the original cold has produced a sinus infection which is prolonging the symptoms. It happened once to my son. You'll need to see the doc who will probably give you antibiotics.

Take care, now, and pass us a tissue :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • BreakingDawn
    BreakingDawn Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello all, I think you're right, the first virus was a yucky cough and cold that was going around and it affected my sinuses whereas this one is more like a common cold. I changed my job last December from a physical one (that I was struggling to cope with) to working on a reception which is much less physical but puts me in the firing line for all the bugs! Still, at least it's the weekend and time to rest up anyway!
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I'm in similar situation, with 3rd cold this year! I take sulphasalazine, which suppresses the immune system. It's not always easy to avoid the bugs and stuff, specially if you're working (I work 3 days a week), and some kind of social life! I tend to be fastidious with hand washing and cleanliness; when I start to feel under the weather, I try to only do what's necessary, then put my feet up, also make sure I have plenty of early nights! It takes bit longer to fight off than it does for 'normal' people, but you just have to lie low for a bit and do what feels right for you!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Breaking Dawn,

I hope this time your cold finally clears up. I had one a couple of weeks ago, in spite of all the precautions I take. When your immune system is suppressed you are more vulnerable. If I have a really bad throat or a nasty cough I usually check in with my GP.

Be kind to yourself this weekend.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I see that Sticky has been yet again on the high seas - only two cod since Christmas? I blame the fishing quotas! :wink: DD

PS Gotcha for the tripe therapy. :balloon:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Reception? Oh spray everyone and everything :lol: Seriously, I'd be wiping the desk and my hands regularly.

Yup, you really landed me there, DD :wink: Maybe we could set up the Stickydaisy Cod & Tripe Emporium. One bite and you're cured. (Or should that be pickled :lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright