Defeated by a tin of baked beans

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. Feb 2015, 02:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having had many disagreements with every kind of tin opener known to man, I finally found an electric one that I can use. I really fancied scrambled eggs and baked beans for breakfast. However, today it ran out of batteries. I could not - for love nor money - manage to convince my swollen fingers to prise open the battery cover. I had to have something else for breakfast. It's the little things that seem to bother me the most. :?

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ouch!

It's always the little things that bother me the most too!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awww Sophie how frustrating, mental note buy baked beans with ring pull :wink: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    It always is the little things that seem to be the tipping point. Have you tried the baked beans in snap pots? They are plastic pots with peel off lids that you heat in the microwave.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    You're so right about it being the little things. Especially the culinary little things when your taste buds are preparing themselves excitedly for something that refuses to happen.

I have an electric (plug in) can opener that I've had for donkey's years. It cost very little and has paid for itself a hundred times over.

Marie, I used to be OK with ring-pulls using a desert spoon through the ring as a lever but now, thanks to advice from Numpty, I just shove 'em through the can opener.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bimble
    bimble Member Posts: 42
    Options
    I bought canned tuna with ring pulls. Pack of 4, of which 3 opened easily, last one was stubborn, obviously knowing I was on my own in the house. I was so frustrated I yanked it so hard that it started to open, spilt out some of the oil on the can which made it slip out of my hands and the whole lot ended on the floor. At least the dog enjoyed a treat!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I can't do the ring pulls, but it's so frustrating when you're in the house by yourself and the one thing you want/need proves impossible to do. I think it's the little things that cause so much angst.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's always the little things that get to us, isn't it? I can cope with my Good Grips can opener, it has fat handles and a large easy-to-turn handle but anything battery-operated can be troublesome thanks to the fiddly hatches and getting the batteries out then in. I detest ring-pulls because they strain my wrist. I think Sticky is on the right path here, it may be worth investing in a mains-operated one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Starburst
    we have an electric tin opener I cannot pull the ring pulls hard enough.
    we have got some snap pots.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    This is going to make me sound very fussy and I promise that I'm not but I don't like the snap pots. I find that they taste 'different' to baked beans in a tin and I can't quantify what it is, just 'different'. :roll: However, I might have to keep a spare few on the cupboard for any baked bean related emergencies.

I can't do ring pulls anymore, I used to be able to but those days are gone. The battery cover is open but as it happens, we have no batteries, so I shall get some after work today. Speaking of which, my late lunch break is now over.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have no doubt that they do, perhaps a different process is involved in manufacturing them; I take it they're for microwaving? I don't use our micro, it's not my way of cooking. Mr DD insists on the reduced salt variety (gruel with your beans, anyone?) so I pimp them with a small dollop of tomato puree, a healthy dose of paprika (for colour) and a sprinkle of chilli flakes. He then adds full-fat (and salty) cheddar over the top, or maybe parmesan. Yum-yum! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben