Hip exercises

Options
Chazmoore
Chazmoore Member Posts: 12
edited 9. Mar 2015, 08:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I'm having big problems with stiff locked hips. Was wondering if anyone had any advice on exercises etc to try to loosen them. Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Exercise is good for arthritis and I do mine daily to maintain the not-exactly-brilliant range of movement that I have. They include quads for hips and knees and you can find those and many more in AC's booklet on exercise http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Healthylifestyle
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Have you been to see a physio, they can give you some good exercise for hips,before I had my hip replaces I was given some to do ..either sitting or lying down and pressing your bum into the chair or bed this will get the thigh muscles strong and help the hips..there are lots on the net but be careful not to over do them...
    Love
    Barbara
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi Chazmoore

a good all rounder is Tai Chi.

I find if I focus on one area with exercise it will cause a flare up so i try a slow all over exercise. I have a great dvd called tai chi for arthritis by dr paul lam. got it off a**z*n. I swear by it. I stuck to it and when i came out of flare i was able to do my beloved yoga again. it helped me so much!

best wishes,
    charleeh x

Edited by Moderator JK - for use of company name, must be edited as AC Forum Policy
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    My physio has given me few hip exercises. Though I am not yet diagnosed with hip OA, I do have a lot of pain while walking. I think, it’s better to ask physio because exercise that suits me or others may or may not suit you. Also always pick four different exercises and do them daily this week; pick another four for daily use next week and continue changing weekly until you’ve tried them all. This way your hips will be more mobile. Moreover, you’ll know which exercises were hard for you; those are the ones you’ll want to keep after until the movement is fluid and easy.