Ankle swelling

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 7. Mar 2015, 04:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am awaiting physio on my left ankle which needs fusing or replacing. My ankle is horrendously swollen on the outside of the foot (over the ankle bone, and up to and behind the heel). It's been swollen before but I've just been to a family wedding and have done an awful lot of driving which, although I drive an automatic car - I know this hasn't helped.

I saw my GP about my ankle 3 wks ago and am due to see physio tomorrow late pm. As a precaution I've taken a 'selfie' using my phone of the ankle just in case it's not as swollen tomorrow. However, I don't somehow think I'll need the photos.

My GP ruled out infection or oedema when she saw me as it's just the dodgy ankle that's swollen.

I've taken this week as annual leave and am really pleased I've done this as I certainly wouldn't have been fit to go in.

I am elevating the foot, using the 10% ibuprofen gel the GP gave me. I can't take NSAIDs as I'm allergic to them.

If anyone has any words of wisdom re magic cures for swelling tissue I'd be pleased to see it.

I suspect physio tomorrow will be sending me back to GP for a needle aspiration of the fluid. I may be wrong but I don't think so somehow ...

Oh, the 'joys' of OA are wonderful to behold aren't they?

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Grace,

I`m sorry I can`t really offer any advice about your ankle. Keeping it elevated is a good idea - have you tried a cold compress?

Years ago my rheumy advised wearing an ankle boot rather than a shoe, for extra support, which I tend to do if I`m going to be more active than usual.

Hope you can get it sorted soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you have a bag of frozen peas to hand they make a compress which can be shaped around the hurty bit. Sitting with your foot elevated is a very good idea, then drape the peas over the top (wrap them in a tea towel to protect your skin). Obviously they should not be thawed and re-frozen and eventually eaten: we have a bag in the freezer clearly marked 'Elbow Peas' (they're for 'im indoors, not me).

Driving is driving is driving whether it's an automatic or geared. Your feet are at an un-natural angle from time to time which stresses the joints. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Yes, I'm with the others ie ice, ice, ice along with elevation.

I hope the wedding was enjoyable enough to be worth this price. If so, all is well and good :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thank you for the kind replies.

I too have a bag of peas which I use as an ice pack (probably full of botulism bearing in mind how often this has thawed out and been re-frozen!). I iced the ankle yesterday and it did take some of the swelling down.

Saw the physio today. It's the sub-talar side of things that's gone in her opinion. She agrees a fusion is likely to be next step. Swelling is down to the inflammation. I've got some non weight bearing and two weight bearing exercises to do and go back on 6th March. When I go back she'll see how I'm getting on, and will give me some interferential treatment as this will help to break the inflammation up.

If my exercises make the joint worse, I am to stop them for 24hrs, and try again if the ankle feels better. If not, or if it flares again should I re-start the exercises, then I am to leave the exercises out until I've seen the physio again.

She said if I am on the foot for any length of time it will swell and I then have to ice and elevate. Apparently, I've been doing all the right things which is good to hear.

My range of movement is reasonable but she is concerned about the amount of inflammation (she was shocked when she saw my 'selfies') and she acknowledged pain in the joint is bad for me.

She said that I have a massive O.A. background and am relatively young at 49 to have all these issues (I've heard that so many times I now merely smile when those words are vocalised).

After my appointment I was so sore I could barely stand on the foot. It's easy this week as I am on leave, but next week when I go back to work will be more challenging.

However, at least I have had the initial appointment so hopefully this process may delay surgery for a couple of months or so and I should be able to strengthen the muscles which will help when I do have the fusion.

So, all in all, a relatively good visit.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds like a good appointment and a good plan. It's also nice to know you've been doing everything right. KBO, girl and good luck :D
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Grace
    Glad the appointment went well..but just to say keep an eye on that ankle..and your temperature..its a few years ago now but I ended up with a bone infections in mine..at least you have seen someone about it..hope the physio helps you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi Grace , does your ankle go down overnight , the problem is that it can end up with long term damage to the area , ie skin , veins & you can end up with leg ulcers & the leg/ankle endding swolen all the time

having the fusion done will help , had both of mine done but need the main ankle joints done at some point , one thing I found that helps is using a Circulation Booster , its is a tens m/c but will help with the problems & pain with your ankles
  • GraceB
    Options
    Hi, yes the swelling does mostly go down overnight. It doesn't disappear completely though and it's definitely inflammation as I can feel the heat coming from it.

Have had to stop the weight bearing exercises already as my back and needs replacing knee didn't like them. I am still doing my non weight bearing exercises though.

GraceB
  • trepolpen
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    Hi, yes the swelling does mostly go down overnight. It doesn't disappear completely though and it's definitely inflammation as I can feel the heat coming from it.

GraceB

that is good that it mostly go down overnight , Sitting with your foot elevated is good , you can have compresion socks if the fluid starts to go up the leg , a ankle brace may help you but with the ankle swelling it may not be easy
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

My ankle was so bad last night that I was rocking with pain. I'm seeing my GP this week for referral to ankle ortho cons so I can get this fused. I had 150mg Tramadol in space of 2 hrs last night and I was still rocking.

I'm doing my non weight bearing exercises but have had to stop the others as I suspect they've made this flare so much. I'll try the weight bearing ones again in a few days (I don't like to give up!).

It's going to be an absolute nightmare afterwards whilst I'm post-op but I have no choice.

Here in Kent we have the 18 week pathway from referral to treatment so I'm now off to find a calendar and try to calculate when all this will kick off.

GraceB
  • trepolpen
    Options
    grace , I would recommend you try a Circulation Booster , I have used a Revitive V3 Circulation Booster for the last 7 or 8 years , it helps when the ankle goes into spasms of pain like you had

if you buy one new try to get the VAT of the price , makes it 20% cheaper , same with any other arthritis aids
  • GraceB
    Options
    Second physio session today for this ankle. Physio stunned at amount of swelling. She now thinks I have tendonitis in that ankle on top of all the joint deterioration. She said I need urgent MRI and will be reporting back to my gp in the next week.

I have also seen my gp this week and asked for referral to ortho cons to discuss next step. I think this will be the fusion.

So, not only do I have advanced OA in this joint but now the tendonitis too! Wonderful.

I'll update again after next physio session. Thanks for reading.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It sounds as if you can't put the fusion off much longer, Grace. I hope the tendonitis won't be a problem for it. Good luck.
    Steven Wright