Rheumatology appointment changed

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 3. Mar 2015, 13:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. When I got my first rheumatology appointment on 24th March, I also told the appointments person that I would be happy to accept a cancellation. She's just phoned and my appointment is now next Tuesday! I don't know if others do this, but it's well worth it.

So, if possible, I'd love to have people in my pocket. I've spent some time on my medical history etc to take with me and also my symptoms - mainly the hip bursitis (over a year) and the OA (foot, knees and hands). I would really like them to offer suggestions about the bursitis and also my thumb joints. When holding the phone for any length of time my right thumb and first two finger go numb - also have it at night - so maybe there's carpel tunnel syndrome there as well. So, we'll see.

Knowing I'm going to be seeing somebody next week has really cheered me up. I'm either very strange, or a bit sad! Probably both! :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Neither strange nor sad, megrose. You want answers and help and now it looks to be coming sooner than expected. That is good. I'm pleased for you and I shall be there :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hope it goes well for you - I`ll be thinking of you.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I can understand how it has cheered you it is closer to you getting answers than you thought. Count me in Meg I will be there hope you get the answers you are looking for xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I hope the appointment goes well for you.

I almost always say to the booking team I can take a cancellation at any time, and 75% of the time I get seen faster. Doing this also helps others on the waiting list to be seen sooner
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I always say I can take a cancellation - the quickest was 'Can you get here in ten minutes?' around thirty minutes after telling them I could!

I am pleased that you are being seen but I don't think I can make it due to that day being The Spouse's birthday and I am unlikely to be around. I will endeavour to log in at some point though, in case you are able to post an update. Good luck and I hope it goes well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello meg
    I will be in your pocket..dont forget your list, one with questions and one with any pains, swellings rashes and anything else you can think of.. ..I had mine yesterday and produce my list and she read through them so saved me from forgetting things ...very easy these days..good luck..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Hi all.

Thank you all for being in my pocket this morning. Well I'm quite pleased about the way it went. She was a lovely woman, Polish I think and very sympathetic. I did give her my list, but she didn't really look at it - except the medications - but I remembered most of it, anyway.

The upshot is that the main pain is due to the hip bursitis and OA, with some fibromyalgia as well, which my GP had suspected. She pressed on a few areas, which were very tender.

So, I'm off to Doncaster Royal Infirmary next week to have four injections - two in my hips and two in my thumbs. She felt the steroid injections I've had so far in my hips haven't been strong enough so she wants to inject another drug - didn't catch it all, something beginning with m I think. I've just been googling - Methylprednisolone perhaps? Anyway, she said they didn't have it at the small hospital I went to, which is why I've got to go to Doncaster. I think the thumb injections will be the ordinary steroid ones. I gave another armful of blood as well!

She's also put me down for physio at that hospital. I told her about going to the other hospital, but she just said, go with them until you get an appointment here and then you can cancel the other ones.

If the bloods come back OK and I've had the injections, then she's going to discharge me, I think. It will be nice to go upstairs without clinging onto the bannisters and pulling myself up! Fingers crossed, anyway. :D
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sounds like a positive appointment Meg, I am afraid I cant help you out with the name for the hip injections as I only ever had normal steroid ones in my joints. That is good you are getting them done next week lets hope between them and the physio they will help your pain, I will keep my fingers crossed for you xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Thank you very much, Villier.

You know, I sometimes wonder if I expect too much. I know I've got OA and maybe expect the doctors to give me a magic pill which will get rid of all pain. Perhaps I should realise that, at 68, there is going to be wear and tear that doctors can't cure! Who was it said that old age ain't for wimps!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello meg
    Glad to see the rheumy looked after you, only she should have looked at your list.. :roll: anyhow at least she is organizing some injections for you, I have had the ones in my thumbs and they worked brilliant, but my hip ones didnt.. so hope these stronger ones work for you..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Yes, it does sound like a good appointment and I hope much good comes of it.

Old age not for wimps, eh? I like it, megrose :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright