How do I find out if I am entitled to benefits?

Sandfire1 Member Posts: 2
Hi everyone, I have had osteoarthritis in my sternoclavicular joint for nearly 15 years and I am only 35. I had to leave my previous full time job as the long distance driving became to painfull and sitting at a pc all day with my arm in the same position caused constant pain and regularly taking anti inflammatory damages my liver.

I can't not work as we need the money, but I also LOVE my new part time job working in a garden nursery, however the one day a week I work leaves me in soooo much pain and as much as I want to do more I know my limitations. I really want to and have to keep this one day but I am struggling with bills.

I do want to work but can't work full time, I can't take antii inflammatories to control the pain either so have to be careful, but This means I am struggling financially.

How do I find out if I qualify for any benefits? Am I classed as disabled but able to do some work? Does my partner have to be on a low income?


  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

    There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

    I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the forum. It's such a shame if your body can't handle the job you love. That's one of the big downsides of arthritis – always having to make adjustments.

    You say you can't take anti-inflammatories. What about the anti-inflamm gels and / or straight painkillers? Might they be an option?

    I'm afraid I know little about the ins and outs of benefits. Might these be of help?

    Also CAB would probably advise you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If you do a certain number of hours a week you might get working tax benefits to supplement your income but I think the limit is 20 hours. Also your partners income would be taken into consideration.

    You could claim ESA or PIP and you can claim and work at the same time( definitely with PIP but need to check with ESA). PIP is not means tested and paid because of your needs for looking after yourself and/or mobility issues.

    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein