Tocilizumab injections

Options
scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 26. May 2015, 20:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wanted to tell you all that I finally started my tocilizumab injections today!

The injection is a doddle, the syringe is much easier to use than the Humira and Enbrel pens. I had to undergo 'training' - the training nurse and I laughed as I've been injecting myself since I was diagnosed. She said I was more qualified than she was, as she had never performed an injection on herself, only other people.

I'm hoping the tocilizumab kicks back in quickly. Having to wait for the injections plus a flare has not been pleasant. I'm hoping to come off the steroids next week.

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope it works for you, and as quickly as possible.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Excellent news, scattered. You have been a patient patient for far too long. I hope all goes well and the steroid withdrawal can proceed smoothly. Thanks for sharing the good news :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello scattered, I am very pleased to read this news and I hope it proves to be the med for you. I know you have a wise head on young shoulders but don't be too hasty in reducing the steroids: I hope you soon start to feel some kind of benefit. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi Scattered,

I am glad to hear you have your injections!

Keep us posted on how you get on - I hope it all works well for you.

People seem to be dragging their feet at my hospital about approving the injections for some reason ? a lot of patients don't want them either - I don't mind as long as they don't rocket launch into your leg like the humira pens!!

I prefer a needle with a syringe that you can do yourself, however when my hands swell up I can see why they make the pens lol!!

How did you find the injection? - I didn't like the humira at all, I thought that hurt ..... or am I being a wimp??

Best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    That's strange , did my 1st tocs jab on tuesday this week . i've had an almighty flare too as I had to be a month free between humira and beginning with the tocilizumab . Thankfully , my flare is easing now ; hope your's calms down too . Wishing us both well !
    mamasmurf
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    That is good news, bet you are really proud of yourself..I do wish you well with it and hope you see a big improvement.. it must be scarey when you try new meds..but it helps to be positive... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    Charleeh - the injection was painless and incredibly easy. You have to leave the injection out of the fridge for half an hour to warm up, which probably helps with relieving the sting. I found Humira injections stung like crazy afterwards. As the toc. is a syringe, there is none of that rocket launcher feeling either. All lovely and controlled :D I'm hoping that the constant dose works better for me than the infusion hit once a month did, but mostly I'm revelling in the freedom of being my own mistress again.

Mamasmurf - good luck with it! Tocilizumab was my saviour. It is the only thing (in combo with others) that got my RA under control a decent length of time.
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    I hope that it helps scattered :)
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hiya scattered;

Just wondered how you have settled in with everything now?

Has it disturbed your work or lifestyle? - the swap over I mean??

I am a bit apprehensive as I have just started back to work (other then being self employed) now and they decide they'll swap me over in the next few weeks!! :oops:

hope you're doing well!!

best wishes,
    charleeh x