nerve pain anyone?

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
edited 12. Mar 2015, 05:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was out with my mother yesterday and although we didn't do a lot of walking I did do quite a lot of driving. When I got home I was in a lot of pain (I have osteoarthritis in various places as well as fibromyalgia) The worst pain was In my groin, hip and buttock on my left side. I think this may be due to the driving and it was that horrible nerve pain which makes you feel sick. I took my dihydracodeine but it didn't even touch it and I was just in tears at 2am and would have given anything for a shot of morphine. My gp has said theres nothing stronger he can give me other than morphine patches and I really don't want to take that route. Does anyone know if it's possible for the gp to prescribe morphine to be used in extreme circumstances and kept at home?

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm no doctor and I'm sure every doctor has their own opinion

I was prescribed oramorph for when I have really bad periods of pain, this was prescribed by my GP and he was happy to give me it for this type of pain. I also take dihydracodeine daily and it's never really done much for nerve pain. To be completely honest the the oramoprph doesn't take away the pain as such, it just makes it that bit more bearable at a time when you really need something.

It also may be worth asking if your local hospital offers any sort of pain clinic, mine doesn't which really frustrates me. The pain clinic people are essentially who you need to see for the best possible pain reduction
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I hope it's eased off a bit by now, bridesmum.

I suspect you have a car seat problem and it might be much better for your long-term health to try to resolve it rather than going down the morphine route. (No pun intended.) Even with two good THRs, I can get hip pain (which is what you describe) if I don't ensure I sit firmly in the flat centre of a car seat and don't sit on any bit of the raised sides. Even my fit-as-a-flea husband can get hip pain on long journeys and is apt to fling his wallet out of his back pocket after the first ½ hour or so.

When pain prevented me from driving I just – sadly – gave up driving. I don't know anything about prescription morphine (I've only ever had it post op – and pre-op when my hip was broken) but it's clearly something which requires a serious natter with your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nonaproxin
    nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi There,
    I have been suffering from Nerve pain (sciatica) for three years now...L4 L5 root nerve damaged after being trapped by prolapsed disc....
    Tried all kinds of med over three years...The Best I get (pain relief wise) is with Pregabalin and Tarpentadol ...But have to keep windows shut in case I fly away....The nerve pain (in my case ) never really goes away...but the drugs make it more bearable....
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    As above I think a different type of tablet should be used. Nerve pain is totally different to our other pains. To be honest I didn't realise how much nerve pain I had until my GP changed my pain meds from naproxen to Pregablin. Naproxen is more of an anti inflammatory med.
    I also suffer from osteoarthritis as well as rheumatoid so it's a very tricky thing to get something to cover all. I'm on fentanyl patches. They are 100 times (literally) stronger than morphine with way less side effects. I had to get the pain clinic to prescribe those though. I would try to get a referral from your GP. They can only do so much.
    Please be careful with dihydrocodeine. I was on them for around 15yrs and by then I was having to take 8+ 30mg per day on top of 2 90mg slow release ones and had a horrid time coming off of them.

Hope things ease soon for you. Have you tried one of those back support things for your car?

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I echo the above - normal pain meds do nothing for nerve pain. You need gabapentin or pregablin like the others have said.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I was left with horrible nerve pain after having shingles last April, and the pain is on going. I take amitriptyline for this, but if things don't improve my GP is going to try gabapentin.

As others have said, nerve pain is a different beast.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I get awful nerve pain off this back has well has the pain patches I take pregablin and some days its a life saver....hope it eases for you soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I also take amitripyline on top of the Pregablin and Fentanyl patches.. Plus paracetamol lol.. I do rattle when I walk :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I agree with the rest Gabapentin or Pregabalin are needed for nerve pain I can relate as I have a very rare neurological condition.xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I was initially put on amitriptyline for nerve pain by my GP but my orths consultant changed my prescription to Duloxetine.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Wow! Thanks all for all your suggestions. I take amitriptyline for my fibromyalgia and have done for about 10 years. I will go and speak to my gp and see what he suggests re patches or oramorph for desperate emergencies. This forum really is a godsend when you need advice or even just a little company from people who understand what you're going through. Debx
  • felix
    felix Member Posts: 30
    Options
    hello bridesmum I drive around 5oo miles a week on top of working I use one of those vibrating seat cushions & another two soft squishy ones placed in the gap between the hip & seat it makes for a very comfy ride at least for the first hour anyway.
    “Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
    Carl Sagan.
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi bridesmum,

I don’t have any real advice against nerve pain nor do I have any experience of patches. But I do feel for you. I think OA could be culprit. Have you ever thought of modification and adaptations that can make driving easier? Personally, I feel these are costly affair and simply avoid driving nowadays, as it is very difficult to get steering control, especially when you have wrist arthritis.

Chris.
  • janjankay58
    janjankay58 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    I take 150mg a night of amitriptyline for nerve pain but doctor says I cannot go any higher than 150mg.Really worried about what is going to happen when my body gets used to 150mg