meds review

Options
felix
felix Member Posts: 30
edited 3. Mar 2015, 14:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everybody hope your all coping I went to see my doctor yesterday for stronger pain killers he said the cocodamol 30 500 mg are the max after that its dehydracodine or tramadol which is being reclassed as a class A drug
he split my naproxen dose from 500mg twice a day to 250 mg four times a day he also prescribed gabapentin 300mg one taken at night
I felt a bit woozy in the morning has any one else had these.
“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
Carl Sagan.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    First of all has he prescribed a stomach protector for you to take alongside the Naproxen? If not go back and request one as there is a risk of these types of drugs damaging the stomach or kidneys. I was on the max dose of Naproxen for quite a while and even those I was on a stomach protector I was unlucky and developed a stomach problem which means I can no longer take anti-inflammatory drugs. I also had regular blood tests while on it to check my kidneys were ok. I am also on meptazinol which is a similar type of drug to Tramadol, don't know it's classification but it is an opiate, as Tramadol is contraindicated with the drug I take for my neuropathic pain, plus paracetamol to boost it. It is scary taking such powerful drugs, and at weekends and holidays when I can rest and relax I reduce my dosage, but they do mean I can manage to get through a day at work without the pain being unbearable. Good luck.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • felix
    Options
    Thanks for bothering to reply slosh im on lanzaprazola a proton pump inhibitor
    I have a full time job as brick layer to be honest I'm 18 months away from a full hip replacement but it's the damaged iv done to the other hip throwing my weight on to the opposite leg that bothers me as i`ll have to continue taking these powerful drugs for who knows how long.
    “Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
    Carl Sagan.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I was on lanzopole, excuse spelling and now take omeprazole. I agree it is scary taking these medications, but my quality of life is better with them. Hope you don't have to wait too long for your hip replacement.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I think we're all supposed to get meds reviews every year though mine hardly ever change.

Good for you for continuing to do such a demanding job despite your arthritis, Felix.

I think the wooziness will be from the gabapentin. I've never had it but I've heard others on here describe the side-effects. I think they normally take it in the early evening to avoid the morning fog but best check this out first with your local pharmacist.

Also, if you're splitting the naproxen, I'd suggest always taking the tablets with a small amount of food to help the stomach. The lansoprazole is your main line of defence but no harm in a belt and braces thing too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • felix
    Options
    Would full cream milk suffice as food or do you think it has to be solids
    I had to ask for a review after I saw THIS PATIENT COULD BENIFIT FROM MUR written on my prescription bag I googled it & it means MEDICINE'S USE REVIEW .
    Carl Sagan.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Yes, I think we are intended to book our own reviews when that coes up on the prescription but I'm not sure and all practices may vary.

As for milk - I'd guess so. I'm just speaking from bitter experience not medical knowledge. I was on NSAIDs for years long before they started to prescribe stomach protectors with them and I was advised then to take them with food. Even so, my first endoscopy showed lots of - by then, healed - ulcers and a badly damaged stomach lining. So now I take no chances. I take all pills with food - even just a small plain biscuit or, I imagine, milk, Gives the stomach acids something to work on other than the stomach itself :roll: NSAIDS can do a very good job if we're careful with them. I hope your new meds regime works out for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Felix, and welcome. I take naproxen as and when needed, and omeprazole every day. I was told by my GP that even a plain biscuit would suffice with the naproxen, though I usually try to take it with a meal.

I have tramadol for when pain is severe, and also amitriptyline at night to help with pain, and residual nerve pain from a dose of shingles.

I'm actually notified by the Practice Nurse when my meds review is due, though the actual meds rarely change. Due to the post - shingles pain my GP offered either gabapentin or an increase in my amitriptyline, and I chose the latter, on the basis of 'better the devil you know.'

Hope things get better for you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Felix I had to come off naproxen because of kidney probs..I do take pregabalin the newer version of gabapentin and this helps loads ..hope you find something to help soon...
    Love
    Barbara
  • felix
    Options
    sorry to hear about that Barbra what has your DR prescribed to replace it & how did you know .
    Carl Sagan.