Now what?!

Options
sunkenoctober
sunkenoctober Member Posts: 4
edited 11. Mar 2015, 12:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I posted in the "Say Hello" forum with my story.

I have been diagnosed with OA in both the center of my knees. I find it incredibly challenging each day, I've been off work for nearly the fourth month. My manager has been fine although I'm sure I'll get referred to Occupational health soon.

Tomorrow I get the results for my MRI to see the damage to the cartilage.

My question is Now What?!

The drugs I have been given simply don't work regardless of what the doctors try to throw at me. I may as well be popping smarties. My mobility has been reduced greatly and frankly I'm sick and tired of the pain.

I've already applied for PIP and I'm not entitled to anything else due to the fact I am still employed. Although I'm sure I will have to wait for a year to see if I'm eligible.

I have nothing to help me walk, am I meant to buy this or will I get referred to someone to help with aids?!

I live in a house with no central heating, no shower and my bathroom is downstairs. Which is majorly challenging at night,as my stairs are so steep (old terrace house) I privately rent. I have heard of the council giving grants but I highly doubt the landlord would apply for it.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there, sunkenoctober. I'm sorry you had to find us but this is a good place to be, if you have arthritis, with lots of helpful people. I presume yours is osteo (OA) and you are quite right - the drugs don't work. Unfortunately, that's where we're at. There's no cure and things do deteriorate until surgery becomes an option. I've got two knee replacements and two hip replacements but my OA came as a result of many years of RA.

Many people on here have had to change their jobs to something more manageable, reduce their hours or even give up work altogether. Why not refer yourself to Occupational Health at work? They might be able to help. They 've helped a lot of people on here.

Also, you can self refer to an Occupational Therapist for your home by looking up Adult Social Care on your local government's website. They provide smaller items (grab rails, pick-up sticks, raised loo seats etc) free. Adaptations are means tested and might be difficult if you have a private landlord but you can ask for nothing. If the bathroom is a big problem at night they'll also let you have a commode.

Walking aids? I think Occy Health would help there too but you might need to see a physio for that. (Just ask OH. They 'd know.) Walking sticks should be the right height and properly used to be of real help. A rollator (like a zimmer with wheels) is another possibility. There is plenty of stuff out there. The only things not out there, unfortunately, are a cure and freedom from pain :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi sukenoctober welcome to the forum I see the lovely SW has given you some good advice, my GP referred me to OT they couldn't have been more helpful they even installed a hand rail on the stairs up to my flat, there is help out there. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello sunkenoctober and a warm welcome from me..
    Gosh I do feel for you,the house must be so hard especially the stairs, could you not ask your GP for help ,maybe they could put you in touch with someone that could help find you somewhere to live that is more suitable..has for the pain..we call then pain dullers on here because none take away the pain completely..like SW says you could refer to occupational therapy again ask your GP..I have had my hip replaced and was loaned most of the stuff I needed..good luck with the PIP..and I do hope you can get some help very soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hello and welcome
    OA in the knees is my situation as well and i can really sympathise with the work situation.

Painkillers don't really do the job, do they? It sounds like you've been back a few times to try different things. Hopefully the MRI has shed some more light on the situation and you may be offered some surgical options. I've had keyhole surgery which has given me some relief (I'll take anything!) and i think the next option for me is a knee replacement. Once you are referred to a surgeon they will be able to discuss options with you. I believe there are quite a few things they can do, depending on the severity of the damage to the joint.

Best of luck
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Here is the other knee OA sufferer and couldn’t be more agree with you on work hassles. I opted for part time work nearly 5 years back when pain hampered my mobility in a great way. OA is degenerative diseases. Pain dullers only work for temporary pain relief whereas other medicines and supplements might (?) help you to prevent further damage. However, already deteriorated joint continue to their job of giving pain.
    I ouch for arthritis friendly house, it makes life pretty simple. For arthritis person, safety comes first, to cut down your risk of fall. Arthritis is unique to everyone, for some it will be getting to the second floor or opposite, for others it will be bending down or turning items. So right from doorknob (especially if you have wrist arthritis) to comfortable dinning chair, needs to be changed as per your need. If you rent your home, speak to your landlord or superintendent — he or she may be able and willing to install new fixtures if you purchase them. There are quite few things you can do, just you need to go through proper channel.
    Also be mobile as much as possible, take a healthy diet and prescribed medicines regularly.

Chris.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi sunkenoctober , welcome from me, sticky has pretty much given you the best advise! I hope you enjoy the site!! :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a grim reality, isn't it? There is very little that the doctors can offer, it's a matter of pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory med and exercise to keep the muscles that support the joints as strong and flexible as possible. The pain relief doesn't offer much (the term 'pain dullers' is sometimes used on here because that is all they do) and the stronger the relief the more you are removed from the pain, not vice-versa. It always returns because we have damage in our joints.

I am eighteen years in now, have a creaky foot in both arthritis camps and around forty affected joints. I can no longer remember being pain-free and, to my wonky way of thinking, that is a blessing. I managed to carry on working until the end of 2012 but I was fortunate in that I was self-employed so could tailor things to suit me.

We can all empathise on here because we are all in very similar boats. Living with constant discomfort and pain is not easy but we have little alternative until the damage is such that replacement joints may be offered (if they're the right sort of joints). I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben