New drug driving legislation coming into force (2 March '15)

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 21. May 2015, 10:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
"Drug drive legislation: am I fit to drive?"

I haven't seen this mentioned on here but thought it was important for people to have a read as many of us are on morphine-based drugs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drug-drive-legislation-am-i-fit-to-drive
New drug drive legislation comes into force from 2 March 2015 in England and Wales. So long as you are following the advice of a healthcare professional and your driving isn’t impaired you can continue to drive as usual and aren’t at risk of arrest.

In the dawn of new drug drive legislation, THINK! is encouraging people who take medicines and aren’t sure if they are safe to drive to check with their pharmacist or doctor. The new law comes into force from the 2nd March and is designed to catch people who risk other people’s lives by getting behind the wheel after taking drugs, and not those taking legitimate medicines that don’t impair their ability to drive.

The new law sets limits at very low levels for 8 drugs commonly associated with illegal use such as cannabis and cocaine. There are also 8 prescription drugs that are included within the new law. These are:

clonazepam
diazepam
flunitrazepam
lorazepam
oxazepam
temazepam
methadone
morphine
However, the limits that have been set for these drugs exceed normal prescribed doses, meaning that the vast majority of people can drive as they normally would, so long as:

they are taking their medicine in accordance with the advice of a healthcare professional and/or as printed in the accompanying leaflet
their driving is not impaired
Robert Goodwill, Road Safety Minister said:

If you are taking your medicine as directed and your driving is not impaired, then you are not breaking the law and there is no need to worry. We advise anyone who is unsure about the effects of their medication or how the new legislation may affect them, to seek the advice of their doctor or pharmacist

There will also be a medical defence if a driver has been taking medication as directed and is found to be over the limit, but not impaired. THINK! advises drivers who are taking prescribed medication at high doses to carry evidence with them, such as prescriptions slips, when driving in order to minimise any inconvenience should they be asked to take a test by the police.

Professor David Taylor, Royal Pharmaceutical Society spokesperson and member of the Department for Transport advisory panel on drug driving said:

Don’t stop taking your medicines, prescribed or otherwise, if you are worried about this new law. Instead, talk to your doctor or pharmacist for information about how your medicines might affect your ability to drive. They’ll be happy to give you the advice you need to stay safe.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Sophie. I'd not heard of this. It makes perfect sense and, oddly enough, seems to have been well thought out :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Thanks Sophie I did see something about this but not as detailed xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Many thanks for posting this information, Sophie.

I have made this a "sticky" thread for a time to give everyone a chance to read it before it vanishes down the board.

Best wishes
    Mod B
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just wanted to add to this, I went on the gov.uk website and in regards to morphine it reads
    "Morphine or opiate and opoid-based drugs"

Thought I'd add that as it makes quite a difference. I am seeing my GP anyway on Wednesday so I will talk to him about this and maybe ask him to put something in writing for me, or take a photo of my prescription on my phone.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    According to radio 4 this morning there will not be a problem for anyone on prescription meds if their doc has said it's OK for them to drive and they take the meds as prescribed - and, ideally, carry a prescription round with them.

Will the latter work for strong opioids? My DMARDS don't come on my repeat prescription form: they have to be ordered separately each time for safety's sake. Maybe those who do use strong pain relief would be advised to get a 'meds tag' cut. I have one for my meth as I can't be bothered carrying the booklet around all the time.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    For years I have always carried a copy of my prescription both in the car and in my wallet. I am currently on fentanyl patches. That stuff is 100 times the strength of morphine :shock: With less side effects thankfully lol.
    I have not had to stop driving while using these. When I was on morphine there were many times that I just wouldn't have risked getting behind the wheel.

This looks like a well put together thing for a change
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I saw a leaflet about this in my local pharmacy - the info is out there and I hope people read it and take note. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    On my latest pack of cocos – only the lowest dose- it warns of new instructions inside. Inside it says:

The medicine can affect your ability to drive as it may make you sleepy or dizzy.
    * Do not drive while taking this medicine until you know how it affects you
    * It is an offence to drive if this medicine affects your ability to drive

It goes on to say it's not an offence if it has been prescribed, taken according to instructions and is not afecting your ability to drive safely.

Ie Be responsible. Don't wing it. No problems.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yes, my new packet of Tramadol has the warning in it.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Hi Sophie. I haven't been around for ages and came on to get news of you all and update. Read this, found it thought provoking and thought I'd say that I've been taking 60mg codeine for 6 weeks now with max doses of Naproxen and Paracetsmol having had pneumonia followed by an RA flare up.

I found the Codeine made me very woozy and I didn't dare to drive at all - especially as I've had vestibular problems and wouldn't trust my judgement where it comes to overtaking etc. Gaberpentin I took last year also made me feel and behave like a drunk woman and I didn't drive while taking this either.
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I am the Chairman of the East Lancs Institute Of Advanced Motorist

I take all emergency service before there blues and two training as well as the general public.
    When i went on morphine, a lot on here did tell me not to but the pain was just too much and i am sorry but life has to be worth living or what the point.

I did not drive at all for 4 weeks or so but as i got use to the drug I then introduced myself back to driving.
    I did not drive at night for 5 months so i did not attend any of out committee meeting. This being very annoying but sensible

the corazone injections in my next and lower back have been fantastic and i am reducing my meds.
    On the 31st we are off driving to Luxembourg so should be fun

wishing every one as well as they can be

James