Hi everyone

AlexeyB
AlexeyB Member Posts: 7
edited 23. Mar 2015, 05:44 in Say Hello Archive
Hi All,

Just joined this online community here...

Not sure my story is typical , but I don't have arthritis.. while my wife has. It started in early 2000s before we met. But in the last 5-7 years ilness progresses.. So far it is mostly palms and wrists, but spreading on shoulders, knees and toes.

We've been on methotrexate for about a year, but since these were pills and not injections it did not really help. Then was Arava (Leflunomide) which did not help either. Now we've changed the doctor, but reverted back to methotrexate injections, which in fact are not being sold in our country (we live in eastern Europe) :(

Still not losing hope though :)

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, advice and light relief. I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis conditions or look after family with the same. If you need help with the t4chnicallities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message

Regards
CK Moderator

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello AlexeyB and welcome to our forums :) I'm sorry to hear about your wife but at least she has a very thoughtful husband fighting her corner.

It sounds as if your wife has an auto-immune form of arthritis – either rheumatoid (RA) or psoriatic (PsA), maybe? My RA started in my fingers, then wrists and ankles, then everywhere else :roll:

It's not that the methotrexate didn't help because it was in pill form, it's just that many people have to try several medications – or combinations of them – before finding what works for them. I take a combination of methotrexate (pills) and hydroxychloroquine and they work for me. Others have to take three lots of meds. However, it's true that, by using injections, one can take a higher dose of methotrexate than one can with pills.

It must be very difficult for you if meth injections are not sold in your country. There are other medications available so please don't despair. And remember, most of these meds can take up to three months to work.

You are right not to lose hope. I've had RA for over 50 years and, despite the pain and disability, they've been good years :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AlexeyB
    AlexeyB Member Posts: 7
    Yep, she has RA. Talking to combinations - it's a bit complicated....

In our country all arthritis treatment methodology is based on methotraxate as a golden standard. Nobody neither thinks, nor knows about anything else. So it's hard even to consult someone.

On top of that - we are still planning to have a baby at some point and major parts of those medications are either way too toxic, or have nto been explored properly :(
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's true that methotrexate tends to be the starter-med of choice for most people with RA wherever they live. It's also true that it can't be taken during pregnancy or for (I think) 6 months before trying to conceive. I think sulphasalazine is OK during pregnancy and steroids.

A good site for information on all aspects of RA is Arthritis Research UK http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello AlexeyB and welcome to both you and your wife
    The forum is good for getting answers, and advice, but the best thing is being able to talk to people that understand ..it really does help..sorry I can't help with the meds, but I do wish you both well and hope to see you around the forum..
    Love
    Barbara
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    We are in kind of same boat. I have RA and currently put on Methotrexate pills. Before that I was thinking to TTC, but my rheumy was not happy with that idea due to progression of my illness and he advised to go for Methotrexate. I do trust him so decided to go for it. So far, I don’t feel any difference, it’s been only 2 weeks after starting meth but I am all hopeful, I will be able to cope up with this.
    Please think twice and have in depth discussion before planning a baby. It’s very important to have control over your arthritis. Many drugs are not suitable to be consumed while pregnant. In fact, you may need to wean off few drugs at least 6 months before you plan a family.
    Few lucky expectant mothers go into remission but not everyone. Even after pregnancy, baby needs constant attention of mother and this could be super tiring for RA mother. Your wife is lucky to have you as helping hand, and there are all chances that both of you can plan a wonderful family by helping each other; my only point is consider all corners before taking this big step. Good luck.