Decision Time ??

Options
mike30
mike30 Member Posts: 6
edited 7. Mar 2015, 05:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good day fellow members, I am a silver surfer and somewhat confused after a visit to my doctor complaining of knee problems amongst numerous other aches and pains. I have only been in retirement for a couple of years after a lifetime of travel and heavy machinery work.

My doctor (who I only have a poor rapport with) shipped me off to Hospital for subsequent X- rays. The results shown Arthritis in both knees
and recommended a double joint replacement.

Panic, anxiety, depression and all the negative emotions us Homo Sapiens
are blessed with. I was dumb struck and failed to have my complaint discussed. I now have my assessment due in about two weeks time at my hospital.

I am scared and worried about such surgery, surely other less invasive
remedies could make life better for me.

How much evidence of bone damage can be seen from an X-ray ? what about having the joints washed out (cannot bring to mind the technical term used for key hole surgery). Or perhaps cortisone injections how successful are these ???

And finally for now can anyone recommend the best knee supports to try
to strengthen my knees. Sorry folks for the above waffling but I am truly
afraid of such Invasive Surgery.......

regards,
mike :?: :?: :?: :?:

Comments

• SharonDerby
    SharonDerby Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mike
    how frightening for you.

I'm no expert and i'm a new member here myself but having been ill advised twice by NHS doctors to have two operations that have changed my life for the worst (not arthritis related) i would 100% speak to your GP again and ask what less invasive options there are.
    You are not a number you are a person, you have every right to ask questions don't let anyone push you to do anything you don't want to do.

If after discussing further it seams surgery is the only option then you can make your choice then but don't be afraid to cancel the date they have given you until you get much more info.

Wishing you the very best
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Well, Mike, I think I'm equally dumbstruck :o I don't think I've ever heard of someone going to their GP with knee pain and virtually going directly for new ones. It must have come as a tremendous shock. I can only assume this has been going on for years and you have a very high pain threshold. They certainly don't hand out new knees so readily to everyone and some on here will be very envious and feel you've won the jackpot.

You do, however, write of 'going for an assessment'. That might simply mean an orthopaedic appointment where you and the consultant can discuss your best way forward. It won't necessarily mean new knees. It will be an opportunity to talk about all the other routes you mention. No-one's going to bounce you into an op you don't want. Alternatively, the appointment could be your pre-med assessment but, again, remember you don't have to go through with it.

There are steroid injections that can help temporarily – with the emphasis on the 'can' (They don't work for everyone) and the 'temporarily. I have heard of people – usually sportspeople – having bits of cartilege etc 'washed out' and sometimes people just have one half of the knee joint replaced. However, for my money, they don't offer new knees unless you really need them. In fact they often don't offer them to those who do :roll: So, I'd go for it. Indeed, I have done – three times :lol:

My OA came as a result of many years of RA. I had both my knees replaced in 1981 (March and June). One was replaced again about 6 years ago but the other's still hanging on in there. If you're relatively fit now, with strong muscles, and you do your exercises and rest up properly after the op. you should have an excellent result. I'm not sure, from your thread, whether they're thinking of doing both knees together or not. If so, look up 'Helenbothknees' posts as she had both done together. Indeed, I'm sure she'd be happy for you to PM her.

Knee supports can be very useful but, far from strengthening the knees, they actually encourage muscles to atrophy which is exactly what you don't want. Use them briefly, to enable you to do something (a walk?) you'd be unable, or would find difficult, or scary to do without them. Then take them off.

Keep talking to us if it helps :) There are a few of us here with TKRs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Mike and welcome to the forum
    I remember well at 58, 6 years ago when an orthopedic surgeon dropped the bombshell I needed both hips replaces..like you total panic...but 2 years ago I had no choice but take them up on there offer and had one hip replaced..I was shocked..they actually got me in..I do need the other doing ,but also an op on my back so this has delayed things...
    If you are anything like most people you will go in when the time is right..ie the pain is to much , we have a few people on here that have had both knees done..and pleased with the outcome
    Has for knee braces..it does depend on how your knee has worn..I would ask for an MRI this will show more..and also to be referred to a physio that can help build up the muscle and advise on a knee support..good luck ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hello Mike and welcome
    That must have come as a huge shock! As the others say, you are unlikely to be pushed for a replacement you don't want, and I am sure that the surgeon will be able to discuss other, less invasive options with you - perhaps an arthroscopy to have a good look inside there first.

I've had OA in my knees for nearly 10 years (I'm 39) and had an arthroscopy in the left knee last year. It has reduced some of the pain and 'catching' (I think because the surgeon removed some of the spurs which had grown) but it hasn't been life-changing for me. I'm seeing my surgeon again soon and am actually pushing for a TKR so that I can continue working. I have to say that speaking to a knowledgeable surgeon who can help you understand exactly what is happening is really helpful - you could always ask for an MRI scan if you want them to have a clearer picture of what is going on in there.

Good luck :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Replacement joint surgery can change one's life for the better and those who have been helped rarely post now because they are out there getting on with things like they used to - check the recent posts by Barry2013 for the good news about him - he is now considering having his second. I was refused new knees in 2011 despite much damage, now the damage is considerably worse thanks to the delay and I doubt I'll bother now because my ankles and hips are affected whereas back then they were relatively OK.

Once OA has moved in it will not move out. There is little to be done apart from pain relief and possibly a steroid injection (which may or may not work but only masks the problem) or anti-inflammatory meds. Surgery can bring the end to all of that - and often does - but the patient has to wait until the surgeon decides that the damage merits the operation. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben