Good GP appointment

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 6. Mar 2015, 13:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Had my routine appointment with my GP today to get some more Meptazinol. I talked to him about work, that I did still find it a struggle at times, and that I had been referred to OH and HR.
He was initially worried that my head was trying to find a way to push me out but I explained that I didn't think that was the case and what my head had said to me about wanting advice. He asked me how long a day I worked and about my work. He said normally he would have recommended either putting me back on to reduced hours or signing me off but that he didn't want to do that unless really necessary as it could go against me in terms of HR. I agreed and said I really didn't want to be signed off. He then suggested that it might be time to consider reducing my hours. It was a bit of shock to hear this but it is what I am reluctantly coming around to, and I said at present I was waiting to hear about my PIP assessment. He took lots of notes in case he was contacted by anyone and then said goodbye with his usual "Come and see me as and when".

So good to have a GP who listens and cares.
As for work I am not going to rush into any decision but it looks as though this will be my last year working full-time.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've always been impressed by the sound of your GP and this seems to have been another good appointment. Having said that, he's probably equally impressed with his patient, how you have dealt, and continue to deal, with a sudden change of direction and the efforts you put in to remain independent.

I hope you can come to an acceptable decision re working hours.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    What a lovely GP..ours is good in his own way, but doesn't sit and listen..sometime this is all we need..good luck with work..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I`m pleased you had such a good appointment - good GPs are worth their weight in gold.Even if they can`t prescribe something to help, it`s just nice to know they will listen while you explain how you feel.
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Glad you've had a good appointment Slosh, and I hope you get somewhere positive with work as well :)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Thank you all. I have heard from Occupational health but will phone them on Monday as the date they've given me clashes with a meeting.
    As I have heard about my PIP, and got standard rate for the daily living component I can start to plan for going part-time and making my request for flexible working.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich