Accupuncture newby

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 9. Mar 2015, 06:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys

I had Accupuncture for the first time today - id heard it didnt hurt!, but it did on a couple of the needles, I was aware of the needles and it was throbbing in certain parts, is this normal and what effect should I have ?

Thank you

Lynne x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry, but it's years since I tried acupuncture. I don't remember it hurting anywhere – just the pinprick as it went in.

Did you mention the throbbing to the practitioner?

I used to feel very briefly, very mildly better with acupuncture ie the effect had worn off by the time I got home :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant help, but I know a few people on here have had it , so hopefully they will see this...I hope it works for you ..let us know how you get on with it...I will be interested to know..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I only had it once, pre-RA days, and seem to remember it left me with a rather bad headache. Not sure if I actually got any benefit from it.
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks guys x I'm hoping to try it again next time x I was incredibly tired last night ! Not sure if it was the side effect of the acupuncture or just my day ? :lol:

I'll keep you informed xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had it done back in the days when I didn't know what was going on with me. Yes, I remember the feeling of a bruise being pressed when she twiddled the needles but other than that, nothing. No headache, no reduction in pain, no other effects apart from lightening my purse but I reckoned it was worth a try: it helps some and you don't know until you try. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Lynne,

I had the one almost 2 years back to manage my pain, before my RA diagnosis. Pain relief was definitely not long term but it gave me very relaxing effect, for short period. If someone experiences real pain it suggests either the needle has been inserted into a nerve and has been left causing discomfort or the practitioner is incompetent or the patient is extremely sensitive. But, I think in case of chronic pain, acupuncture might hurt you during first few visits before you start feeling better. If you have full faith on acupuncturist, perhaps talking to your acupuncturists and explaining how you feel, might help to decide further course of action.