Back again with an unexpected letter

Options
Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 7. Mar 2015, 04:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all
I've been absent for a while - spent a week taking my students away to Greece, followed by a few weeks of recuperation from the pain! Still, nothing like a heavy dose of pain relief to help dull the sound of 25 teenagers on a coach for 4 hours :lol:

I've had some unexpected news - after my last apt with my GP (in which I had something of a meltdown at the suggestion that I will be waiting 5-10 years for the TKR due to my age) I came home to a letter saying that I have been referred to a knee replacement surgeon! Totally unexpected and I am not making any assumptions 'til I have seen him. But I may be in the position to move forward which is both scary and potentially exciting. It's the same surgeon I saw last time and I wonder if he will decide that it's too soon for me to have the op.

Does anyone know how likely being turned down after a referral is? I also finally got some support from the local mental health team - a diagnosis of depression and anxiety followed by some counselling which has so far been very sympathetic but not all that enlightening...

PS - enjoying the sunshine today - always puts a smile on my face :)

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Can't answer your question but I just wanted to say fingers crossed with the referral. Hope the counselling helps too, I'm just waiting to get my first appointment through.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks Slosh
    Can't really believe it to be honest. Just keeping my fingers crossed
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'd guess the appointment is so that you can talk things over with the consultant. It may or may not lead to a TKR. I see my ortho guy regularly but infrequently. We are currently monitoring my ancient TKR. There can't be much mileage left in it but he's willing to wait a bit longer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright