Flower grenade

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 9. Mar 2015, 11:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
A lovely friend got me a box of three of these for Christmas. They are ceramic 'grenades' which burst, when thrown to the ground, releasing a mix of compost and wild flowers :D

I waited for the worst of the winter to pass but today was such a lovely day I couldn't resist.

Unfortunately I also couldn't prise a 'grenade' out of the excellent foam packaging so I attacked it with a knife.

And broke the top off :roll:

Luckily the seeds and compost were still inside so I carefully carried the whole box out to the side of the house where we've had some lovely poppies and ox-eye daisies in the past but none last year. There were lots of old twigs and branches underfoot so I just walked carefully up the side as far as I dare.

And wafted the box.

And the seeds / compost flew out just as a big gust of wind arrived :o

And I think I might soon be growing poppies and buttercups in my hair :lol: Won't I look lovely?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh no. Hope the seeds landed somewhere appropriate where they can grow. And I'm sure you will look beautiful with flowers in your hair. :lol:
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    What fabulous idea!

You must post a photo of the outcome :D

(and I do not mean cornflowers in your hair!!)

Love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Flowers in your hair ,a child of the 60s.
    Never heard of these what a great idea. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have never heard of these grenades but what a lovely idea.. :D hee it took me back to the 60s...wear flowers in your hair.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have heard of these and think they are a wonderful idea. It's a pity that your 'launch' was somewhat mistimed but the unexpected gust is the nature of our weather. My question is this - will we need to regularly apply manure (top-quality organic of course) to help matters along? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    DD, how wonderfully thoughtful 8) Er, no thanks :D

I've always loved wildflower meadows. I never quite planned on becoming one though :lol:

Today it's cold and damp so the other two grenades can wait.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    They sound wonderful, as does the image of you with flowers in your hair. Good luck with launching the other two.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    What a shame Sticky! I hope you managed to shake some of the seeds out?

I wonder what happened to your poppies and ox-eye daisies from previous years as they usually self seed easily.

My one and only poppy from last year got mowed down by my OH. He will not be making that mistake again.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I think you are probably already fertilising your hair meadow - dried tripe is a wonderful plant food (it's miraculous wonders never cease). I hope some of the seeds do their thing in the ground and your efforts are rewarded.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I agree with others as to you being one of the "flower people" Sticky. Takes you right back to the Sixties! I`m sure you`ll look lovely when they bloom, and if you`re out in the rain, don`t use a brolly as they`ll need a drink now and then.