I am not normal...

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 9. Mar 2015, 15:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well according to my sister that is!

I told her I have been awarded PIP ( and explained what it is) and that as a result I am going to apply to go part-time from September. She replied "That will help you to feel more normal. (pause) Well as normal as you can ever feel."

The joke is she sees herself as being very sensitive and understanding.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Slosh :shock:

Do you suppose that was an attempt at being sympathetic? Empathetic? Or just plain pathetic?

Please don't ever be normal. It's vastly over-rated and only for those with no imagination or even common sense.

Just be yourself. We like you as you are. ((()))

(More tripe, anyone?)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    It just made me smile. She just doesn't know what to say or realise how she come across.
    Who wants to be normal anyway?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    It's probably very boring being normal, Slosh - how does one actually acquire normality?

Keep on smiling,

Tezz x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    theresak wrote:
    how does one actually acquire normality?

It's all in the mind :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear you've been awarded PIP, that must be a relief. As for your sister, well actually, despite her insensitive way with words, she got me thinking. This money and your reduced hours will help you establish your new normal and pave the way forward to a new journey for you.

Being properly 'normal' is overrated anyway. It's cool to be different, to be unique, to have your own style. :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    I have never wanted to be normal...even going back to my younger days I am 64 now..so am more determined than ever..glad you got the pip and going part will be good .. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad you got your PIP, I've also been awarded it too at last!! My OH is always calling me weird! I'd also be happier weird or not normal than normal. Normal is boring!! :wink:
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Normality is a paved road: it's comfortable to walk but no flowers grow on it.
    Vincent Van Gogh
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oooh that's rather nice, LV – even if it was uttered by a chap who lopped his own ear off :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I like the sentiment but don't plan to cut my ear off in tribute!

Ithink it's partly that unless you're a paralympic athlete she can say is "brave" and "inspiring" she equates disability with old age or with not being part of the community because if you're disabled you can't do things. I also think that because of this and because I 'm her much younger sister she can't face seeing me.

Never mind, I'll go back to not telling her things as it's easier that way and I have my daughter, close friends and all of you for support.
    Julian of Norwich