Quick update and advice on Meth

Options
AnnaMilton
AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
edited 16. Mar 2015, 23:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, A quick update. Had an appointment with my rheumy last week. Unfortunately, he advised me to postpone my TTC plan as of now and concentrate on my RA, which is expanding very fast :cry: . I had to trust him, as my reports are in agreement with what he says. I have been offered Methotrexate 10 mg to start with along with folic acid. However, I am afraid of starting it as I have heard about its sides like nausea and vomiting. Any ideas/tips on how to cope up with this?

Anna.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Side effects are only ever potential, Anna. Assume you'll be OK as you probably will. Don't go looking for problems, just get on with normal life.

The folic acid is your first line of defence against side-effects. Take it as prescribed and, if you are among the unfortunate few who get any side-effects, you can always ring your rheumatology helpline and ask if you should increase it – but don't just decide for yourself to do this.

Be conscientious with your blood tests. They will highlight any potential problems before you notice them yourself.

Take the meth with food. Some people find they can be queasy if they take them by day so they take them, instead, just before going to bed. I take mine in the morning and always have done with no problems at all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Anna,

Not everyone gets side effects from the meds we take. I took MTX at night with my evening meal, and never really suffered any nausea. I took folic acid once a week, but it can be increased if you feel a bit sick due to the MTX.
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    Like it's been said, the side effects are only in potentia really. You may not find that you have any. I had nausea with them, but only for the first few times of taking them, after that it settled down and if I took them at night time, it was easier.

I hope that they help x
  • AnnaMilton
    Options
    Thank you folks for your wonderful advice. Yeah, I am trying to be positive and would stick to Meth at nighttime along with dinner. My rheumy prescribed me 5mg folic acid daily except on the day of Methotrexate to offer an additional protection against side effects of Meth, I guess. Will keep you updated on how I get on with it. Thank you.

Anna.
  • Frumpyshoes
    Frumpyshoes Member Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been on methotrexate since November and am pleased to report I have had no sickness - I also take 5mg folic acid x 6 days a week. 10mg is a very low dose and a good starting dose! I started at 12.5mg and was switched to 20mg via injection after 2 months. The only side effects I get are headaches, but don't assume that you will get them, most people don't seem to! Also really tired for a couple of days after taking it.

I was terrified when I first started on them but honestly it hasn't been bad at all!
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I have been on Meth now for a few years.
    I am on 17.5mg by injection.

It is a great drug and works for me.

I did have a few side effects at the start, but have almost nothing now.

If you do feel sick, I always mints or diet coke on standby to help with this.

Also, once you start Meth I would keep a medical diary. So you can track your sypmtoms each week.
  • AnnaMilton
    Options
    Hi frumpyshoes,
    That’s quite encouraging. I have started taking Meth from Thursday and so far all well except minor headache, but that’s certainly bearable. Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Debrakelly : Thanks for wonderful tip of diet coke and mint. This should be helpful. I do maintain a diary particularly for tracking food and my medicines,off let became bit lazy though. I should do it more regularly. Thanks again!!!

Anna.