First Aider: Do I get a Hepatitis B Vaccine with arthritis?

Options
chez86
chez86 Member Posts: 37
edited 9. Mar 2015, 08:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am to become a First Aider at work and they want to know if I want the Hepatitis B Vaccine...
I have not been on medication for over a year now and am managing well, so this is more a question of whether I should have it due to having arthritis..?

I have read where people have had some awful side effects (even some that have said they have gotten arthritis FROM the vaccine.)

I am tempted to say no but then worry I will put myself at risk if I come into contact with anyone's bodily fluids...
What would you do?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As with any question like this I would contact my rheumatology department and ask their advice. From what I can recall we are not supposed to have live vaccinations but I could be wrong, this is why you need the expert knowledge. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD's quite right. This isn't a matter of who thinks what. You really need expert medical advice.

It might be that, having an over-active immune system, you'd have some protection anyway but it might equally be that getting Hep B - or even the vaccine - would expose you to more risks than others.

Ask a doc and, if necessary, be prepared to say you can't do the job.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright