Pin boards...which are the easiest to use?

Options
Snip
Snip Member Posts: 3
edited 12. Mar 2015, 12:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Help! I need a pinboard that I can use easily with the arthritis in my hands. I've just wasted a lot of money on two Sundeala pinboards which were like a brick wall. Even the nice (young and strong!) man who was to fit the boards for me found them a bit 'tough'.

I am now looking at either a cork board or a felt board. I can use a cork board ok but I need one 1800 x 900 and most look rather flimsy at that size and have poor reviews. So, I'm wondering about how easy a felt board would be to use as they seem to have a stronger construction. The construction of both seems to be mainly something called softboard, covered by either felt or a thin layer of cork.

Has anyone any experience of felt boards?

Thanks for any advice! :D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Snip & welcome to the Arthritis Care forums.

If you have any technical difficulties, do get in touch with us by PM to the mods.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to discuss your problem. You may want to say more about your arthritis as there are lots of members who have great advice.

Best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello, snip, and welcome from me too :)

This is a very difficult question as we're all different in our capabilities and incapabilities, even when the same joints are affected.

I've never used a pin board and can't see myself ever needing to. If it's for work an OT might be able to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, what an interesting question but it is hard to answer as these things are as individual as us. I used to use a small cork board in our previous house for items such as our eye prescriptions, vouchers and the current TV licence but now those are on a magnetic board. I have seen cloth-covered ones with a criss-cross design of elastic, so one can poke things behind yet they are still visible, but again this is for use in a domestic setting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Snip - sorry I can't help with your query, just wanted to say welcome.
  • Snip
    Snip Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Many thanks for such a warm welcome! When I bought the Sundeala boards I was assured by the company that they would be fine someone with arthritis....needless to say, they denied this after the event and wouldn't refund the cost. It was yet another insight into how people who have no idea what arthritis is like can be completely unable to comprehend the difficulties.

I'm still wondering what to do......if I find a perfect solution I'll post about it here!

Thank you all, again, for your kind and welcoming words. :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It's true that, with the best will in the world, no-one understands arthritis - or any other disease - until they get it. However, it was wrong to assure you of its suitability. Better get it in writing or on a sale or return basis next time. Hindsight is always 20 / 20 vision :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright