If it hurts then swear

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 12. Mar 2015, 05:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm sure most of us do but research proved that swearing helps us cope with pain. Participants in a study were asked to place their hands in iced water and not swear, they were also asked to do the same thing and swear. Swearing reduced the discomfort of the iced water and participants could tolerate it all a lot better. The part of the brain which releases expletives at the moment of pain is the part of the brain which, in a cat, releases the yowl and hiss when it is hurt (trodden on usually for our cat).

Next time it really hurts release your inner feline and swear. It isn't rude, it's pain relief :lol:
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes, I've seen that, LV, and it's a genuine piece of research. Hence the blue air in the SW household. It beats pain meds hands down :wink:

But not on the forum :shock: Here we say “Oh bother! Fiddlesticks! Fiddle-de-dee! Lawks a mussy! Golly gosh!”

Nope, the placebos don't work. It still ****ing hurts :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've come across this too but typing the blue language is not the same as speaking it; the typed expletives lack venom, bile, expression, anger, they are mild rather than vicious.

After a long day spent at the hospital all I can say is Gadzooks Sirrah! :wink: Stuff 'urts. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have to be careful at school too. Having said that until Arfur came to stay I hardly swore at all!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    I read about that :) I must admit, since having RA, my language can be, erm, rather choice shall we say?, at times :oops: :lol:
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I think I may have to own up that as pain levels have risen, so the language has deteriorated. I can swear with a clear conscience if it's proven to be good for me.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm enjoying feeling justified in my language...it's purely medicinal. I do wonder if the draconian language rules of the forum could be relaxed a little to accomodate this alternative therapy. What do you think Mods? We promise not to be too rude :wink:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thanks LV I now have a good reason... :D I was brought up to be a good girl :lol: and never swore,but these last 2 years...*****yes it does help.but never in front of my GC.. :) .x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I think if I start yowling and hissing when I have pain my two rugrats will think I've lost my marbles!! LOL! But I do swear a lot in the confines of my home.
  • janjankay58
    janjankay58 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Since my arthritis has spread to my toes I make a lot of weird noises especially trying to get doing supermarket I get some very funny looks but that Doesn't bother me I'm in to worry about what other people think. Jan
  • janjankay58
    janjankay58 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Sorry that was meant to say I'm in too much pain to worry about what people think. Jan