Poldark

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 18. Mar 2015, 06:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yes or no? I am too young :D to ever have seen the first version from the 1970s so had no preconceptions in that respect. I have read all of the books several times and last did so this time last year. It worked for me, I really enjoyed it and thought they got the characters mostly just right. The scenery was suitably harsh and rugged too and Mr LV seemed to be convinced at my appreciation of the scenery intakes of breath every time Ross appeared on screen...it's like Mr Darcy all over again but a bit rougher around the edges (and I do prefer a little rougher around the edges).
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    edited 9. Mar 2015, 11:18
    Options
    I did watch the original series, but if I'm honest I only remember the glorious scenery and the main characters.

Robin Ellis was a very pretty boy back in the day, but this new guy knocks spots off him for raw magnetism. Angharad Rees was terrific as Demelza, so this one has a lot to live up to. I absolutely cannot abide Warren Clarke, though goodness knows why.

Hard to really judge after just one episode, but from what I can remember of the last series, this one feels fresher and more slick by comparison.

Do I get the job as reviewer?........Cate.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I never watched it I`m afraid, so can`t comment - but I remember that a good few years after the first series I had a Ross and a Demelza in one of my classes at school, so their parents must have been fans.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    At last some decent eye candy,thought it was better than the earlier version. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    mig wrote:
    At last some decent eye candy

You and I agree on so many things, mig :D Now, here's a tricky one - would he have looked better or worse in lycra 8)

I am old enough to have seen and almost forgotten the earlier version. I enjoyed it then and am enjoying it now. We also attempt 'Spot the Cornish Bay' in this household.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    I'd like the chance to find out Sticky. 8)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I remember the original, just settling down to watch episode one of the new version now. Did hear Robin Ellis, star of the original saying it was a good job he was not expected to have muscles when he played the part.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I too would enjoy the chance to find out whether Poldark in lycra works. He was quite lush to say the least. Interestingly, Robin Ellis, the original Poldark lovely is now an author of diabetic cookery books. How age comes to us all!
  • Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    Options
    I've just read an article about Robin Ellis, who now lives in the South of France. Still handsome at seventy odd. He himself is diabetic, hence the books.

Apparently he is playing a small part in the new series. I think it was the vicar......Cate.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I loved it first time round and think I'm going to enjoy this one too. I think both Rosses are about the same but prefered the old Demelza.
    Christine
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello LV,

Nice to you posting again, with another comment provoking post.
  • lincolnshirelass
    lincolnshirelass Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I loved the original Poldark series & saw it again a couple of years ago when it was repeated on a Freeview channel. Have read all the books too which were excellent.

I couldn't get into the ITV follow-up Poldark series though - they just couldn't reproduce the chemistry that Robin Ellis & Angharad Rhys had in the BBC original.

However I thought I'd give this new series a chance - mainly because it was also done by the BBC, who are great at serious period dramas.

I think it will be a really good programme, the actor playing Ross is just right as are the supporting cast, however I can't click with the actress playing Demelza.
    Angharad played her as feisty yet feminine, with a good helping of humour & kindness. Just like the novels. Time will tell if the new actress can live up to her, but at the moment it's not the Demelza I expected.
  • mig
    Options
    Well ladies I gave Ross Poldark a good scrutiniseing (if such a word exists) and in my opinion lycra would suit him down :oops: to the ground. 8) Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    So....do we assume round his ankles then :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    What are you two like? :lol::lol:
    Christine
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I agree Mig but I did think that the outfit he wore whilst swimming suited him very well. He did have a lovely shapely back. :wink:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Angharad Rees as Demelza, that swings the clock back a way! Maybe those 70's characters were too perfect in their looks, the newer version does present a rougher edge with their looks, clothes and living conditions which is more representative of the times?

The bit where Ross scrubs Demelza's hair with cold pump water, almost a touch of 'Taming of the Shrew' there.................?

So far--enjoyable.