Flare Ups!

Options
charrisse
charrisse Member Posts: 89
edited 7. Apr 2017, 05:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just had another week when my back pain has been so bad that I wonder whether life is worth living..but that was then and I know it's the constant nagging pain even when I'm sitting or laying down and then moving is like someone putting a knife into my spine.. even picking up a cup of tea is agony so making it in the first place takes one hell of a time at snails pace.. :?

It's then when I do wonder if I'm going to stay at that stage and even though I am feeling much better now each time I remain at a bit worse situation than the last time.. if you get my drift.

I've changed my ordinary kettle to a little travel kettle which is a lot lighter to lift. I keep small bottles of water on my armchair table and I also now have a walker to help me get from one room to another.
I have a home help (private) who comes in for a couple of hours every fortnight to vacuum, dust and iron and she changes my bed linen as well... in fact she is an angel and nothing is too much bother for her.

Having said all that I do get so very depressed. I know there are plenty of people worse off than myself and I do have a nice flat with all the usual amenities etc., but pain drives me absolutely bonkers. I take one meptazinol and two paracetamol every four hours plus a codeine now and again.. which then means I feel like a zombie for the rest of the day!

Well..I know this is a good ole' rant but any advice on the how's and wherefore's would be gratefully received .. :!:
All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello charrisse
    I can feel your pain in the post, and it is bound to get you down so don't apologize for the rant it will do you good to get things off your chest..
    Have you been seen by a pain clinic at all, I have a painful back and take pregabalin it certainly helps me get through the days..sorry I don't know what type of arthritis you have,glad to see you have help at home what a difference that must make, has for the depression have you seen anyone about this, there are ADs you can take to get you through this..and they are not for life...I hope you can get some help very soon...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • charrisse
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Barbara.
    I am actually spinabifida..not disabled with that but in the last 10 years or so I was diagnosed with spondylitis with arthritic complications.
    I know it may seem like I'm moaning without trying to do anything about it but I am very sensitive to any type of the meds prescribed for depression and it means that if I take them I am completely zonked for the day... not a way that I want to live my life.
    So which ever I do I have to continue to put up with the pain.

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sending some hugs (((()))) and if you dare cry i will take them back. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    There are people worse off than all of us, charisse, but that doesn't take away our own pain.

I'm sorry, I've not heard of meptazinol. I presume it's a strong one if it zonks you out.

Have you tried physio? Keeping muscles strong and supporting is important.

As for suggestions – try looking on any online disability store. There are lots of things out there to make our lives that little bit easier. Sometimes, if we don't look, we're blissfully unaware of possibilities.

Of course you will get depressed. Pain is depressing. Have you tried AC's Chat4Change sessions? (http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea/NorthEngland/self-management-services/courses-and-self-management/chat4change ) Many people find them useful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's not easy being in and living with constant pain, is it? The trouble with the stronger dullers etc. is that they take us away from the pain (hence the narcotic fog) but they do not stop the pain returning - well, I say returning but truth be told it doesn't go away. It's a challenge and one I occasionally resent having to face. I am not sure if you are flaring or not, it could be that with your arthritis things have degenerated to a new low (arthritis of any kind does that).

I am a firm believer in distraction in whatever form I can find it: reading, telly, puzzles, jigsaws, chatting on the phone, even doing my weekly on-line shop can help me 'forget' what's hurting for a little while. In the small dark hours as I lie listening to a gently-snoozing-pain-free-Spouse I womanfully resist the temptation to kick him awake and read my Kindle instead.

We lead complicated lives and sometimes counting one's blessings doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It matters not that some may be worse off than you, that is immaterial because this is your life, your discomfort and pain and it is causing you trouble so moan away, that's why we're here because we know exactly what it is like. And fun it ain't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    you must be a strong person being spinabifida..so dont you let this beat you, like the others have said , you could try distraction, not easy when you are in pain, but when you get in grossed into something, it can help make things easier.
    Don't forget talking is good, and I would certainly ask to be referred to a pain clinic, they can , go over the meds with you, and see what else could give you some relief
    And you are not moaning just talking to friends, and asking for help x
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sending lots of hugs and wishes that you feel some improvement soon. Constant pain is very debilitating, and you are allowed to feel a bit low. You sound a very strong person to me, and you are not moaning - you are telling it how it is.
  • charrisse
    Options
    This week I had been thinking that the flare up of the pain was due to having gone out on Monday and as the wind was so bitterly cold I got really chilled to the bone but now I see that this thread was started on the 9th which was some time before and unfortunately things have not improved very much since then.
    I have had to resort to doses of oramorph (liquid morphine) which has helped a fair bit although I do need to keep on top of regular doses to keep the pain bearable.

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sorry you're still in so much pain, charisse. Can your GP offer anything other than more meds? If not, I hope you improve as the weather does.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I, too, am sorry to hear you are struggling. It's so difficult to keep going at times isn't it?

What helps me are the wonderful people on this forum who, despite their own troubles, are always there with supporting and loving messages. Makes such a difference.

Keep plodding on - don't let it beat you. You sound like a very strong, determined and resourceful lady.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • charrisse
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies for your kind messages.
    I'm a bit improved today and hoping it will continue.

Had a diabetic check up on Friday.. last one was nearly 2 years ago as they haven't had any provisions for afternoon appointments and I just cannot get there in the morning.. The nurse was very nice but was trying to get me to do exercises and whilst I am well aware that it is a good thing to do as much as one is able, at the moment it is not at all possible!
    Fact is I have bad shoulders and I cannot raise my arms above my head.
    When I had a heart scan last year it was agony trying to keep them high enough for the machine to go over me. However, she (the Db nurse) persisted in suggesting this and that and lots of stupid things like raising one hand above the other!
    I would love to go swimming again as I used to go on a Tuesday and/or Friday afternoons but I am worried about making things worse plus I must admit, I have rather lost my confidence of putting on a swimsuit. :oops:

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm glad things are a bit better. I, too, hope it continues.

That sounds a long time to go for a diabetic check-up. Why are you unable to get there before afternoons? I guess if all is well it might not matter much.

I can't raise my arms above my head either. In fact, I can't raise them anywhere near :roll: I can just about manage my nose :lol: Mammograms are not too easy. In fact, once my arm is hooked round the top of the machine it's just as tough getting it back down again :lol:

I exercise daily to keep what little movement I have. I do think it pays off and, if you fancy swimming, you go for it. No-one will be looking at you – they'll all be pre-occupied with how others are viewing them.
    Steven Wright
  • charrisse
    Options
    I'm glad things are a bit better. I, too, hope it continues.

That sounds a long time to go for a diabetic check-up. Why are you unable to get there before afternoons? I guess if all is well it might not matter much.

I exercise daily to keep what little movement I have. I do think it pays off and, if you fancy swimming, you go for it. No-one will be looking at you – they'll all be pre-occupied with how others are viewing them.

Diabetic clinic was only held in the morning and I do not and cannot get mobile until around noon time especially if I happen to have a bad day. It is only by my keep on pestering the surgery manager that an afternoon clinic has now been set up...at least I like to think I have helped towards that as there must be others in the same situation as myself for various reasons.

I was considering going swimming this afternoon as there is a 50+ hour
    but as I'm only just recuperating from this very bad episode I don't think it will be a sensible thing to do.. Friday is the next one so I shall be keeping my mind aimed at that.

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good for you, charisse :D I think that's a sensible decision. Make sure you go very gently and not for too long first time out. I know it'll seem hardly worth the kerfuffle of changing to be in and out quickly but far better that than overdoing it. Little and often.
    Steven Wright
  • charrisse
    Options
    Long time to be absent but it's interesting to see the posts that have been made .. so an update of my situation -
    Bad flare ups have become quite a regular thing and now I don't hesitate to take the morphine .. no point in having it there and not using it although I am careful as the next thing is that I have to then deal with the constipation :x
    I'm now dieting and want to get down to 154lbs which is not what my weight should be according to my height.. 126lbs was a comfortable level when I was in my teens but now that would be unobtainable at my age especially with me not being able to move around very much.. but it should help to make my back less painful.
    As they say .. Onwards and Downwards!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I say onwards and sideways because it's mostly true. :)

Losing weight is supposed to help but once the joints are damaged that's it, they will still hurt even if the load is less. Yes, the stronger pain relief has a part to play but brings its own troubles in its wake which are just another bind in our very binding situations. :lol: Our challenges lie in making the best of what little we have and we're all pretty good at that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Options
    I hope you find some rest and peace through your pain. It is good that you have a carer coming in and I bet she is good company too. I hope things will show some improvement for you very soon.