The deed is done.

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 12. Mar 2015, 11:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have taken my GPs advice, and have requested part-time work from September. I initially informed my head informally via email but although I trust him, as HR and OH are involved I have followed my union advice and put in a formal request under the flexible working hours legislation. Apart from anything else it means that as a disabled person I am covered by the equalities legislation which means it is harder for my request to be refused.
I have mixed feelings, and feel quite sad, another case of my best being not quite good enough but I know it is the right thing to do and that I have given working full-time a good try and not given up at the first hurdle.

Thank you all for being with me and supporting me as I slowly made my wayto this decision. I do know it is the right one for me.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    First of all have a /hug. I think it's really important to realise that you haven't failed, you're doing the best that you can for you and for the children whom you teach during a very difficult time. It's not a failure to recognise that for the moment full time work is stretching you a bit too thinly, in fact I see it as a strength. You could have carried on, refusing to admit what was in front of you, but now you have a chance to achieve a better work/life balance.

I know it's a difficult decision to make, but in the long time I'm sure that you'll come to appreciate that you really have made the right decision. FWIW I'm a teacher, though not working currently due to ill health. Make sure you're kind to yourself during this time, and don't berate yourself for doing what's best for you. At the end of the day, if you're not stretched as thinly, then the school will also benefit when you're in work.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you merri.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Dear Slosh, it's not a case of your best not being good enough - you have to listen to what your body is telling you, and take the advice of your doctors. You must not think any of this is your fault - you have a demanding job, and have kept going even while things were really tough.

Try and be kind to yourself - and I hope your request for part-time work is granted.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    (((((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))))))). Hugs because you probably need some.
    Well done on finding the courage, for me it was the best possible decision when I went part time I was able to enjoy the children so much more because I wasn't perpetually exhausted and struggling. I truly hope that the same will be true for you, and your colleagues, if they are as kind as mine were, will realise how you have tried and struggled and persevered, and will respect you for making the right decision not just for you, but for the children you care so deeply about.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Well done, Slosh! As usual you have left no stone unturned before accepting the need for change. This will enable you to accept it more easily and you may, in future, look back at your efforts to remain full time with justifiable pride – and amazement.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all for your understanding and kind thoughts
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Sending you big (((())) as making a decision like that is very hard, I hope you will see it was the best thing for you so you can keep doing the job you love.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good. (Read with a French accent!) Courage, mon brave! ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    How are you doing today Slosh?
  • Slosh
    Options
    Today I have given in and taken a day off. I've been struggling in all week since I wore myself out Monday morning. I had to go for a routine mammogram, I'm on crutches due to a non arthritis problem and just about managed to walk from the entrance to the screening centre, with a few pauses and was worn out when I got there. I asked if a porter could take me back to the entrance after and was told in a very unhelpful way that I woukd have to wait a long time. I insisted and said I had just about managed to walk there and would not be able to walk back again and they reluctantly agreed. In the end I didn't have to wait long and the porter was lovely. Apart from leaving me shattered for the rest of the day and next few days I was very upset with their attitude especially as it was the first time I had to make such a request and as you will all know it's not easy.

Anyway I struggled on for a couple of days but realised I needed to be sensible today.

My head has formally acknowledged my request so I am waiting for a date for a meeting to discuss it which should be by the end of term.

I met a friend yesterday who is an advisory teacher I did my dyslexia training with as she came in for a meeting. She told me of a school she knew that wanted a one day a week dyslexia teacher but I said I didn't want that, however if it is agreed she will let the borough officer in charge of outreach know as she felt I would pick up work within the borough on an advisory basis and the money could be paid to me directly rather than to my school.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Well done again! (This is getting boring, Slosh :lol: ) I think the situations that we can just cope with - or, maybe the ones that we think we can - are the hardest. I don't know how mammograms work in your neck of the woods but here, my GP once wrote to the organisers (I think it's organised on a PCT basis) to let them know I couldn't manage the usual portakabin so I go to a local hospital. Maybe, your own GP could arrange for you to be met at the door with a porter next time.

I think, when hospital staff are overworked, they can sometimes be less than helpful when asked for help that was apparently not needed to get there, just to get back. And well they might as I have seen the system abused on several occasions including the woman who required hospital transport to get there then went swanning off to do some shopping :shock:

Who know what might eventually develop on the dyslexic front? It sounds to be a potential work in progress.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright