Back from New Zealand - thanks for all the good advice.

Options
dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 20. Mar 2015, 16:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just dropped by to say I survived the New Zealand trip, had an amazing holiday and am so glad I found the courage to do it. What an amazing and beautiful land it is........but oh so far away! :o

The journey was endless, 30 hours going out and 32 coming home, and I'm really paying for it now in fatigue and joint pain.

I really want to thank you all for the good advice before the trip, I swallowed my pride and asked for assistance at the airports, and I truly wouldn't have managed without it, particularly at Dubai, it's enormous!

I did find the warmth out there helped my RA, but the constant sun meant using factor 50 sun cream liberally, and I still ended up with itchy rashes on my arms, the joys of medication and side effects :? . The day before we flew home we spent several hours relaxing in thermal pools in the volcanic mountain area, so at least we started the long haul relaxed. Happily my daughter, who I travelled with, was very tuned in to how I was coping, or not, each day, and made sure I paced myself, even when I didn't want to admit defeat! She was fantastic through the journey, taking care of all the hand luggage and generally predicting the tricky parts and doing her best to compensate where she could.

It was lovely to spend some time with our son in that beautiful place, but I'm glad he's coming home later in the year, I wouldn't fancy tackling the flight again, unless I come into a small fortune somehow and could travel 1st class :oops: and that's never likely to happen, so it's economy all the way for me.

Thanks again for all the good advice, it was read, internalised and acted on!

Deb xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome back :D I'm so pleased it went well and you managed to enjoy it all. A period of quiet rest now, I think.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm pleased you had a good holiday, and managed such a long trip.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Sounds like you had a very good holiday! I'm glad you were able to manage ok with all that flying and made use of the airport assistance, I myself always use airport assistance now and wish I had done so many years ago. It just makes travelling that little bit more bearable and easier on the joints
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done, I'm glad you had such a good time and pleased that you were sensible - I know it pains us sometimes but it is the best way. It's odd, isn't it? We don't mind seeing others being wheeled around or given some kind of special attention but when it comes down to that person being us . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thank you all for the welcome home. DD you're right, when it comes to being the one being wheeled it's a whole other thing! :? .

I've slept a lot since the weekend, and finally feel more like myself, but the knees, ankles and back are still letting me know in no uncertain terms that they didn't appreciate the flights! :oops: . Now to start sorting out the domestic chaos resulting from leaving a very undomesticated husband home alone for 3 weeks, he did his best bless him, but it's not my best! However, he did look after the puppy really well, and finance our trip, so no complaints from me at all.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm struggling after a week away in North Norfolk - the accommodation was uncomfortable for both of us! I have been wheeled once or twice by Mr DD and ensure I engage people in conversation - just because I am sitting down doesn't mean I don't have a brain or a voice. It's when you're talked about as though you are not there which is upsetting but I think it's more to do with the embarrassment of those trying to communicate in a 'helpful' and 'positive' manner. :roll:

Many, many moons ago Sticky posted a wonderful thread about the rules for those who push wheelchairs: she has had a few more years of this than many of us and, with her sense of humour, of course found the funny side left right and centre. If a wheeled chair becomes my chariot of need I will ask her permission to print it and fasten it to the back of my seat. :wink: DD

I've totally wandered off-topic. I apologise. :oops:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    Options
    DD Wandering is always allowed, indeed obligatory when coco fog kicks in.

I think I found the most challenging thing in Dubai airport was being taken to the "Special Needs Lounge", and just deposited having had my boarding card taken by a pleasant young lady, I wanted to explain that I'm quite capable of not losing it, it's just my joints that don't work too well......it was comfortable and peaceful, but the label rather put me off, having spent an entire teaching career identifying children with special needs........not a label I'd ever attach to myself, but perhaps a salutary lesson in retrospect! :?

I have to admit that I'd never ridden in a wheel chair before, and found it a very curious sensation. I'd love to read the thread you mention.

Sorry to hear your accommodation in Norfolk wasn't comfortable, it's one of the reasons we often leave self catering holidays early, I struggle with strange beds. Happily the NZ motel had a comfortable bed with a memory foam topper so I slept well for me........once my body clock worked out that I was working to a different time scale. :oops:

Deb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello debs
    What a lovely post,I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves..and yes you did it,its so easy to say I cant do that..so good for you..its does sound like an amazing place..hope you are now resting while you look through the photos.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Welcome home dibdab, Dubai airport was amazing and enormous! I was like a child when I realised we had to go on the underground train! Glad you had a nice time!!
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Welcome back Dibdah, glad to hear you had a GREAT time and you managed to manage arthur!

The flight is one of two reasons I don't travel home to Oz every year, money's the other, I object to anymore than a few hours flying the year after a trip home -- in fact, between my last two trips home I didn't fly at all.

Get plenty of rest, and hopefully your joints will settle back down to normal transmission soon!

Scozzie
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Welcome back! I'm impressed you survived such a long trip and well done to your lovely daughter for being so perceptive and taking care of her mum so well. That was a lovely thing to read, you obviously did a very good job with your twins!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome home......it was indeed a trip of a life time, and LV, I count myself so very lucky to have the twins........it's tough while they're small, but a privilege to watch the people they grow in to.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you, Deb. So glad it was a good experience for you. :) x