Pocket duties, please

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 13. Mar 2015, 06:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm off to hospital tomorrow afternoon to have injections into my hips and thumbs. I am a little nervous - I know how much thumb injections hurt - but hoping that they will work and I will feel better afterwards. Should I take some paracetamol before I go?

I'm going on my own, so would really appreciate anyone who can jump into my pockets for support.

Thanks, Meg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, that doesn't sound pleasant and of course I will be there. I guess you are having steroid injections, yes? How are you getting home after? I hope you will be able to keep the injected joints as rested as possible for at least a couple of days, that can make some difference to their effectiveness. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you DD. I'm getting the shuttle bus back to our local hospital - it is hospital transport that runs between the two hospitals - and Mr Megrose will be picking me up from there. It saves worrying about parking, as that can be a bit of a nightmare at Doncaster R. I. I'll make sure that I rest as much as possible afterwards.

I think I'm also a little nervous about the steroid I am getting. The rheumatologist said she wanted to try a stronger steroid in my hips as the usual steroid injections I had last year didn't make any difference at all.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Right, I can understand that being unsettling. Stronger could mean better so I reckon it's even more important to rest - Dr DD prescribes bed for the majority of forty-eight hours (my hospital recommended this every time my knees were done) and not much in the way of thumb action. :wink: Would Mr M consider being Florence Nightingale for a little while? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Im in,take care.Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    No way will you be on your own. I'm in too. (Someone has to keep DD and Mig in order :wink: )

As for the steroids, stronger sounds good in this case. I hope they work.

Pain relief? I guess it's a personal thing. My natural inclination is to take nothing before any procedure in case it jeopardises anything they may want to give me. I can't see that paracetamol would but, even so, I'd be more inclined to have them afterwards.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I`ll be with you Mig.

I never take pain relief before any injections, never have.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Meg I will be in your pocket, think I have told you before but the thumbs ones worked brilliant for me, they did want to operate on my left one..but so far so good..now the hip ones didn't work not a clue why , but I hope they all work for you..must say I did have them at different times, wish they had done all mine at once...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good luck, megrose :D
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I'm trying to keep myself busy this morning, before we set off this afternoon. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

Meg
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Sorry I'm late Meg! Diving into your pocket now ready! Hope the injections don't hurt too much! They give me local anaesthetic before doing my steroid injections so maybe they will do that for you.
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you too, Bubba and everybody who jumped into my pocket

The lovely rheumatologist did the injections and the only one that really hurt was the one into my right thumb, which is worse than the left, anyway. This morning that hand is stiff and very painful - I can hardly use it. I'll be keeping an eye on to make sure it's not infected.

She told me to ask my GP for another referral as and when I needed another injection - about six months, she said - but she also mentioned surgery and how successful it was. So I'll have to see how I go. My hips do feel less painful this morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed (metaphorically) that this has helped the bursitis. After having it for over a year, I have forgotten what it's like not to have pain in that area!

Up early for a cup of tea and painkillers. A slobby day, I think with a focus on reading my new Neil Gaimen book of short stories. :D
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,941
    Options
    Hello Megrose.
    i'm pleased it all went well. I hope it works well for you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Glad that is over with for you Meg..don't forget you need to rest the day after..to.give it a chance to work...let us know how it goes...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    You take it easy today, Meg, and I hope the injections work their magic.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good :D My fingers are crossed too. I hope the slobby day is pleasant and refreshing.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Glad everything went fine, take it easy over the weekend!