Pain in the neck!

Options
Sonia50
Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
edited 25. Mar 2015, 13:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, today came and went in a blur as I spent most of it in bed! I guess 'overdoing' it finally caught up with me and the price has been a horrible day of pain, headache and pins and needles in my neck/head...
After having a couple of good days, I felt invincible and so I ignored my 'steady' work plan and went full out stripping beds and washing blankets, ironing and cleaning ...
Oh dear ... hubby was right and that phrase 'told you so' made an appearance.
Its so difficult to accept my osteoarthritis, but I guess its going to win every time unless I do. :|

Comments

• janjankay58
    janjankay58 Member Posts: 44
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes I too have the same words said to me.My hubby now does almost everything around the house as any Jolt to my neck or back puts me in bed for days.I just get so frustrated sitting while he does everything it gets me down.But has my doctor says you have to change and accept my arthritis.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Sonia I think most of us are guilty of this, but I call it not giving in...must say though like you I do go over the top...hope today is not to bad for you..and I bet you feel proud... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yes, I think most of us forget the price we pay when we overdo things in the housework department, but sometimes you just want to do things yourself, even though you know you`ll suffer for it afterwards.

Put your feet up today!
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and support .... well at least today is slightly better than yesterday. lets hope tomorrow is better still. X
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Sonia50 wrote:
    I felt invincible

Its so difficult to accept my osteoarthritis, but I guess its going to win every time unless I do. :|

Those two phrases leapt out at me, Sonia. Never even think the first one as arthritis has very big ears :wink: As for the second, a wiser thought was never uttered. Believe it and act (and sometimes don't act at all :lol: ) on it. You'll get there.

I hope things are improving.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Awhhhh, appreciate that Sticky .... day at a time x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Arthritis lies. It is the ultimate con, deceiver, liar and thief: we feel better so we cheerily behave as though the disease does not exist - then it comes roaring back to remind us that we have this most unwelcome of lodgers.

Arthritis is a traitor, end of. It can lull us into a false sense of security then cheerfully pull out the rug from under us. I always try to stop when I think I can do more. It usually works. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Sonia50
    Options
    What a great way to put it DD.... so true.
    Think I will print your comments out and put them up at work ... just as a reminder to myself.
    Thanks everyone x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If you do don't forget to read it! :wink: DD
  • Sonia50
    Options
    OK. Still sore today, in fact woke in the night with pain in my shoulder and down my left arm which wasn't good. Spoke to GP this morning, he is thinking that I might have something else going on, possibly fibromyalgia.
    No work for me again today .... oh dear. Hoping I improve soon, got my daughter coming home from uni this weekend :|
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sometimes we can just sleep awkwardly on a bit – especially a shoulder bit – and the impact lasts. I hope that's all it is but, if not, remember your daughter's coming home to see you not to see an impeccable house with superb meals on offer. Do what you reasonably can and no more. (And let her do her own washing and ironing :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Thankfully my neck pain is finally easing ... I can honestly say that the last four days have been awlful ... I can't imagine how some of you lovely people cope with that level of pain every day.
    I want to say that I'll definitely pace myself from now on .... but, whilst thats my intention, you know how it is!
    I am going to take the wise words shared to work with me as a reminder.

With, Happy Mothers Day wishes to all of you
    Sonia :)
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Well, I spoke too soon ...
    Been back to the doctors this morning with more pain, numbness and feeling dizzy. On diazepam to try and calm my muscles down and got to go for MRI if things haven't settled by next Monday. Concern is that disks in cervical spine are worn down and causing nerve compression.
    Any advice from fellow cervical spondylitis sufferers very welcome. Worried about work now :?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sorry, I can't help but I do hope it settles again and quickly.
    Steven Wright
  • Sonia50
    Options
    So, still signed off work with my CS flare up. The pain is settling, albeit slowly. Some days are better than others, and I certainly notice when I haven't taken my diazepam. Not looking forward to my MRI scan in April .... but at least I will have an informed diagnosis and an idea of whats going on.
    Feeling a bit down and seem tired most of the time. Hubby is being amazing ... just have to keep going!
    Sonia
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You do indeed, Sonia, and that can be the hardest thing to do. Keep plodding on. We'll be there with you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    On-going pain is very tiring because it affects so many areas of our lives. I remember some days being better than others - it can mislead us into thinking that things are on the up and then - BANG - they're not. :(

I hope you can stay signed off until you have had the MRI and its results - it's a pressure that you can probably do without. You are not the only plodder on here! :wink: DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have Cervical spondylosis and had two discs removed last year as they were prolapsed and putting pressure on my spinal nerve and cord and the linked vertebrae fused. I did have diazepam for a couple of weeks, loved it as it was the only thing that really killed the pain but wasn't allowed it for longer than that as it's very addictive. Before I had my surgery they were considering an injection into my neck for the pain but decided against this as my symptoms were getting worse.I know surgery is a last resort, as it's complex and not straightforward. You also probably don't want to hear it but it doesn't always resolve the pain and other problems either. What meds are you on? Originally as well as codydramol and Naproxen for the pain in my neck I was on amitriptyline for the nerve pain in my arms. I now take Duloxetine for the nerve pain which has worked quite well.

Also I assume you are doing the basic things like sleeping on one pillow, preferably a shaped cervical one, and a wheat bag can be a great comfort. Have you been referred to physiotherapy as this can help. I know TENS machines can be effective for neck pain but unfortunately I can't use one due to my fusion.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I am sorry for that pain, Sonia. Go slow with your body and give it a rest. Anyway diazepam will make you feel very sleepy, leaving you with very little energy :wink: . But I wish diazepam does its job well. Typically it helps to relax muscles those are tighten, so giving pain relief. I don’t have cervical spondylosis but I do have sciatica (nerve compression in lower back) so I can very well feel your pain. Any thoughts on physical therapy? You can apply heat or ice packs to your neck for temporary relief, especially if neck muscles are sore.

Best wishes for MRI.

Chris.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just a quick one. Heat packs yes.
    Cold/ice packs NO! They can make you faint.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich