Ideas please

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 19. Mar 2015, 07:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
On baking / cooking with a 5yr old boy. (That's WITH. I'm not planning to shove him in the oven :shock: ) Or, even better, stuff that DOESN'T require baking.

Last year I intended to do some when he was 4 but planning, in cold Yorkshire, and using the oven in hot California are two different things even with the air con and fan on.

However, I'd love to introduce him to some basic, reasonably healthy, food making. Pizza- topping will be one. I'm delighted to say he hates those enormously gooey, lurid, primary-coloured cream buns as much as I do but loves gingerbread men so they might figure. As might his Dad's childhood favourite – 'chocolately cornflakey things'. He's not particularly interested in food at all, though. He'd rather be playing baseball, lego or skylanders.

I'd love ideas for quick, easy things that preferably require no oven at all or, at least minimum cooking.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Don't know if this is any good to you Sticky :

Mars bar fudge

2 mars bars
    2 tablespoons of golden syrup
    3oz of marg or butter
    1 packet of digestive biscuits
    300g chocolate

Melt mars bars, syrup and butter in a pan add crushed biscuits and spread on a greased swiss roll tin. Top with melted chocolate and leave to set. Cut into squares.

The wee one would have fun smashing the biscuits up. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Our grandsons loved putting toppings on pizzas, and they also love gingerbread men. You could do cupcakes with them - ours like to do the weighing &putting everything in the bowl, then using the mixer.

Flapjacks are another favourite.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Weighing :o Oh Gawd, I'd forgotten weighing.

Daddy will never let me borrow the scales he uses when making cricket bats :lol:

Looks like I'll have to invest. Thanks, Tezz and villier. They sound good.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    Jam tarts
    butterfly cakes
    maids of honour
    bake potatoes and, when they are cooked, scoop the potato out amd mash with butter, stir some chopped ham in, return to the skins, sprinkle grated cheese on top and return to the oven to re-heat - voila, he's made his own dinner!

When I made gingerbread with my niece, we used various shapes - hands, hearts etc. then she decorated them with tubes or ready made icing in various colours, and all sorts of sprinkle things!

Have a lovely time!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Fruit kebabs are a no cook option
    Mini funny face pizzas, I used to use baps as a base, cut in half then flatten with a rolling pin before using toppings to make a face.
    Decorate rich tea biscuits , coat with icing then decorate with toppings as wished
    And if you want to avoid weighing out ingredients you can get some great character cake mixes for children these days, my Grandsons love these.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    coconut macaroons..not long in the oven
    pizza on toasted half baguettes ..any toppings you like
    Must say our favorites are always the fairy cakes with lots of different toppings they love it
    And I am going to try Marie's fudge... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Rocky road, jelly (not quite cooking), pasties made using ready rolled pastry, tiffin. In terms of weighing, I have a few american cookbooks and they tend to use cup measures which might be easier than taking scales with you. I have visions of a big scale set with weights in the bottom of your suitcase along with baking powder and butter and the like :D
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you all for some brilliant ideas.

I have made a list which I'll take with me.

I've also remembered simple dips with chopped veg - a good way of getting veg into them.

I think I shall buy some cheap scales over there. The US 'cup system' never made sense to me as their cups are no more standard than ours.

LV, food is a complete no-no at US security. And given that I do as far as check-in, and from baggage reclaim to where our son waits for us, in the wheelchair with all the bags loaded on top of me - no weights will be in them :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    You can get a box of 'Thomas the Train' cakes with pre made icing to go on top, not hard to do and at least some of the mix gets into the cakes! Our GC have progressed onto cooking other things now, bread is popular, the messier the better!! Making mini pizzas from scratch is good too.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks, Airwave. Another good idea though Thomas the Tank Engine was, sadly for his Grandma, a couple of years back. I'll have to look for some Ninja Turtle or Star Wars ones :lol:
    Steven Wright